Vancouver Island waters...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duncan Campbell

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wondering if anyone has any good info about any particularily interesting historic wrecks around Vancouver Island?

Check this guys for info

www.uasbc.com

they have a few books written by Jacques Marc like Historic Shipwrecks of Southern Vancouver Island. (Oops I just notice that it is Sold out)

I dove most of the wrecks around Victoria or what left of them if you need info on local wrecks.

the Capilano is probably one the best wreck to dive around the Island.

Cheers

Al

Thanks for the info.. I will check out that sight. Where is the Capilano? Is that off Nanaimo?

Capilano suspension bridge is just north of Vancouver
Mike D

Opps ,

We were just there last fall. I got Mixed up with Tofino , which is on West side of Vancouver Islands

Thanks Hyper...checked out the site and it was very interesting.

Duncan Campbell:
Thanks Hyper...checked out the site and it was very interesting.

Unless I missed something there was not much about the Capilano on that site. I dove the wreck twice but all I can add is that it is out of Comox and is in approximately 125 fsw. I believe it sank in the early 1900's (I seem to remember 1915).

This is not a penetration wreck at this point and I recall the length being 100-150 feet.

Thanks for the extra info GCBRYAN. I really like historic wrecks so I will have to make a trip and check it out.

gcbryan:
Unless I missed something there was not much about the Capilano on that site. I dove the wreck twice but all I can add is that it is out of Comox and is in approximately 125 fsw. I believe it sank in the early 1900's (I seem to remember 1915).

This is not a penetration wreck at this point and I recall the length being 100-150 feet.

I guess you right, so I better start typing more info on the wreck:wink: .

The Union Steamships Co.'s Capilano I, was a small steel freighter of 157 tons and 120ft in lenght.
She foundered off Grand Reef at 3:00 am on 3 October 1915 after striking heavily on a submerged object earlier in the evening.

She was located in 1972. She was designated a BC heritage Site on 6 nov 1985.

The Capilano's intact steel hull is upright on a sand bottom in 130ft of water.
What makes this wreck so pretty are the hundreds of plumose anemones that cover it. A friend of mine told me that he took some divers from the Great lake area to dive the Capilano and they didn't like the dive because they could not see the ship structures like they can in the Great Lake, the life that flourishes on the wreck is unreal.

It is a good dive as a rec dive, but I perfer it as a tech dive to get max bottom time.
like 45 minutes.

That all I got.

Al

Back
Top Bottom