Vandenberg charter/shop info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KSDeepDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I will be down in the keys later this year and I’d love to dive on the Vandenberg for one of the days that I’m down there.

however, all of the googling I’ve done about which shops to use, etc are all great sales pitches but I’d rather dive with a shop/charter that I can get some actual feedback on, hence this post.

anyone have recommendations to go with? Any to absolutely stay away from?

I have AOW already with all prerequisite certs needed. Will only be me also. Would prefer to do a double tank dive.

Do you want a guide? Do you want to have to have a guide? Do you want a private charter? Do you want your hand held on the boat, or are you completely self sufficient? It's really hard to recommend a shop when you give us so little.

Do you want a guide? Do you want to have to have a guide? Do you want a private charter? Do you want your hand held on the boat, or are you completely self sufficient? It's really hard to recommend a shop when you give us so little.
I don’t need a guide or a dive buddy. (Solo cert)
I don’t need my hand held either.
I can do everything.
Not gonna lie, I hadn’t even thought about all that. I’m use to doing everything myself and I forget that dive shops/charters sometimes cater to those who desire to be waited on like that.

While I don’t need a guide or a buddy, I also wouldn’t turn down a buddy or a guide who is quite familiar with the ship and who can point out all the interesting stuff.

I had a bad experience with Lost Reef Adventures. They canceled us the night before the dive because they didn't have enough divers to go out. Not only was it last minute giving us little time to try to rebook elsewhere but part of our group had booked shallow reef with them.

We booked with with Southpoint Divers last minute who took us to the Vandenberg and ultimately we had some great dives- but we also wanted to switch the shallow reef divers in our group to Southpoint Divers so we could all drive together, not only for convenience and to be together as a group, but parking is tricky and expensive in Key West and we had one rental car. Believe it or not- Lost Reef Adventures would not allow us to cancel the shallow reef divers from our group because that trip was still running!

We canceled anyway and disputed the credit card charge.

If the visibility is poor as it often is, the Vandenberg is such a large ship you'll probably feel unsafe trying to feel your way around without a guide and you'll end up with a crappy dive.

It's worth the money for a dive guide.

If you don’t want a guide, and you are self sufficient, and solo, Captain’s Corner is your dive shop. It’s a ride to the site, and they leave you alone except tell you when it’s time to be back on the boat.

Thanks for the input!

I’ve heard the south point divers from a few different sources. That’ll be a shop I for sure look into!

If you don’t want a guide, and you are self sufficient, and solo, Captain’s Corner is your dive shop. It’s a ride to the site, and they leave you alone except tell you when it’s time to be back on the boat.

I agree with Wookie on this one. I dove with them on the Vandy last year for a few days and they were exactly what I like in a dive boat. A professional service with no grief. Odds are good that they’ll have some divemasters in the water with other customers that have paid for that service.

I have been on southpoints boat wouldn't let me bring my rebreather so I dived open circuit and they hold you hand, back on the boat with a 1000psi that kind of stuff. Went out with captains corner will let you do what you want, they just want you back in 2hrs or whatever

I’ve heard the south point divers from a few different sources. That’ll be a shop I for sure look into!
Based on your desires and input, I do not think you will be happy with Southpoint.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom