Vandenberg: depths and suitability of EAN32

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Horizontal penetration wouldn't really impact on the gas choice. The wreck sits in 140 feet of water, so maybe they just suggest a slightly leaner mix so that you have more options below the deck (Rudder and propellers? Not sure).

I have dived it a number of times, on air, 30 and 32. Does the operator give you that choice, or is it just 30 or air?

If you are definitely not going below the deck, choosing a richer mix would give you longer NDLs, and there is a lot of relief, so plenty to see above 100 feet!
158 feet on the shallow side. 165 in the washout. Perfect for an AN/DP class.

Could someone clarify what fsw stands for? I work in metric and just trying to convert the maths - I know what I've got for my maths, but cannot for the life of my figure out what fsw can possibly mean

Thanks guys

Feet of Sea Water. The other measurement might be Feet of Fresh Water. Or Meters of Sea Water.

Edit. 'Murika. Still using a reference system the rest of the world abandoned 50 years ago. I think they still use feet and inches in Go****istan, also.

Love it, thanks Wookie, I just use bog-standard metres. I usually remember what sort of water I'm in, and if I do forget I can always remove my reg and stick my tongue out. If it tastes like s**t its fresh, if it tastes like salty s**t I'm in the sea lol

Good call. It only matters if your computer is calibrated to FFW (Like a Uwatec) or FSW (like a Suunto) or is user programmable (Like a Shearwater).

If they bank 30, dive 30, if they bank 32, dive 32. If they bank neither, dive whatever they suggest...

If they make a 30, it could very well be 31, and so could 32...

They're literally the same and won't change a thing be it in terms of deco or MOD.

I should add that disclaimer about how dangerous of a diver I am though... Might be time to add it in signature or something.

Edit: Oh damn, thought this had been posted today... It was still at the top of the threads!

Completed these dives last week. I ordered 100 cf cylinders of EAN32 and ended up with one testing out at 29% and the other at 31%. The cylinders were filled to just under 3000 PSI so I didn't have enough bottom time for it to matter, particularly since we were fighting quite a bit of current.

It's a cool dive site and I can see why some people dive it often.

So, 2airishuman, IS Nitrox divine?

So, 2airishuman, IS Nitrox divine?

Nitrox and a computer, taken together, are indeed great stuff. The Nitrox adventure of this trip wasn't on the Vandy, though, it was a 65 minute drift dive on Coz on 36% at depths of 50-80 feet. No way to do that on air, or without a computer. Human? Divine? Who knows...

Back
Top Bottom