• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Vandenberg sinking

Discussion in 'Artificial Reefs' started by diver222, Mar 14, 2008.

1. mike_s

mike_s Solo Diver

that brings up a good point.

Will this ship bring an extra 10% divers to the keys that wouldn't have come? or will the people diving the vandenberg mostly be people who would normally dive the keys anyway but just take one day to do Key West instead?

2. Jrock1062

Jrock1062 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I would have gone to see the vandenberg. When i get to Fl I like diving jupiter but the vandenberg I believe would have been worth the trip

3. dpbishop

dpbishop Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    They're wrong about the attraction diminishing over time. The longer it sits on the bottom, the more marine life it gathers and the better the diving, not to mention the fishing in the surrounding area. That's been the pattern at the Yukon off San Diego.

4. truck1

truck1 Manta Ray

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    They dont have to go far to look for examples. Look at the ex Oriskany off of the panhandle and look at the Spiegle. To this day they are still drawing people. The mighty O is down just about 2 years and people are still looking to dive her and willing to make a trip specifically for her and the same is true about the Largo wrecks. The only real issue I see is what is coming after the Vandenberg to help entice even more divers. Maybe a retired navy destoyer or cruiser?

5. MasterGeorge

MasterGeorge Angel Fish

Vandenberg Artificial Reef Project

for those of you who have not already, I'm sure it couldn't hurt to leave a word or two of support in the comments for the latest post there

6. polarguard

polarguard Angel Fish

This is from Fridays Ket West Keynoter....it is exactly what this project does not need at this point.:no:no

The editor has folded once the going got tough:dork2:

+++++++++++++++++++++=

Shaking the money tree an ill-timed bailout

When is enough enough?

Very, very soon, taxpayers in Key West will get the answer to that question if Mayor Morgan McPherson's hunt for money to help sink the USS Hoyt Vandenberg runs short.

At last count, the city's effort to cover the ever-escalating costs is about $1.4 million shy. The mayor, returning from Tallahassee and pressing the flesh, believes he's got commitments from the state's Office of Tourism, Trade and Economic Development that will close the gap.

But the larger question remains: Is sinking the 520-foot former military ship as an artificial reef off Key West at a cost of $8.45 million the best use of scarce public dollars at a time of severe budget cuts for essential services?

Some will argue that debate was fought and lost long ago.

In fact, when private sponsors of the project first approached city business and civic leaders, the cost was estimated at a fraction of today's bloated price.

Bank loans secured to pay for preparation of the surplused Navy ship have already been depleted, which came as a shock to city officials when they recently learned about the shortfall.

Even Commissioner Bill Verge, among the staunchest supporters of the Vandenberg project, began to look for an exit strategy.

The city ordinance he had prepared for this week's commission meeting would have sent the ship to a scrap yard if additional funding can't be found in time.

Some think that was a ploy to shake the money tree of public and private backers. Well, we'll wait and see if it worked.

And if it doesn't, the accounting for good money thrown after bad will hang around like a three-day-old stink, one that voters aren't likely to forget any time soon.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Clearly this paper has no vision and the political support for the project has evaporated.:shakehead::shakehead:

7. diver222

diver222 Garibaldi

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Myself and 4 other divers are coming to witness the sinking and hope to dive on this ship ASAP and will return very often. We need hotels and spend money, all to the local Key West area. I do believe there will be hundreds of divers coming to the area. This sinking has to be a boom to the local economy, I hope the powers to be realize this.
    Mike

8. cmalinowski

cmalinowski Manta Ray

I bet if each of you bring $300,000 it would help :D

9. polarguard

polarguard Angel Fish

Frankly it will take a miracle to make this happen any time soon if this is true.:shakehead:

Norfolk shipyard accuses firm of failing to pay for cleanup work
    By Tim McGlone
    The Virginian-Pilot
    © April 8, 2008
    NORFOLK
    Colonna's Shipyard has filed a federal lawsuit accusing a New Jersey company of failing to pay $1.6 million for work on a James River Reserve Fleet ship.
    Reefmakers of Moorestown, N.J., was hired by the city of Key West, Fla., to clean up the Gen. Hoyt S. Vandenberg, a former Air Force missile range ship, and tow it to Florida for sinking as an artificial reef.
    Colonna's claims it is owed $1.6 million for work cleaning the ship of oil, asbestos, PCBs and other toxic hazards, according to the suit filed Thursday in U.S. District Court.
    A federal judge ordered the U.S. Marshals Service to "arrest" the ship, so it cannot be moved until the suit is ended.
    The Vandenberg, owned by Key West, is scheduled to be sunk as an artificial reef seven miles off the Florida Keys in May. But, according to news reports, that project is in jeopardy. A Key West newspaper reported last month that city officials are having trouble raising $2.4 million needed to complete the project.
    The Vandenberg served as a troop transport in World War II and carried Hungarian freedom fighters to Australia after the 1956 Soviet crackdown. Later it was converted to track missile tests and followed the Mercury and Gemini space liftoffs. The ship also appeared in "Virus," a 1999 sci-fi movie.
    Tim McGlone, (757) 446-2343, tim.mcglone@pilotonline.com

10. BlueNorway

BlueNorway Garibaldi