Vanuatu and New Caledonia vs Polynesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sputnikboy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everybody,
I'm wondering about where to go next year and so far (if everything goes well, but maybe things will change...) I'm evaluating two options: New Caledonia and Vanuatu OR French Polynesia.

Diving is becoming more and more important for me to make a decision on where to go in this case, so I'd like to know where you guys would suggest me to go or simply which of these is your favourite for diving. I KNOW that they are different, just take it as a "I'd rate Rangiroa and Fakarava diving over USS Coolidge and Million Dollar Point in Vanuatu, so my pick would be Polynesia".

Thanks in advance!

I'd rate Rangiroa and Fakarava x 100 over Vanuatu for diving - NC I was diving surface support so didn't get a really good look but still - I'd rate Rangiroa and Fakarava over New Caledonia by x 100.

I'd rate Rangiroa and Fakarava x 100 over Vanuatu for diving - NC I was diving surface support so didn't get a really good look but still - I'd rate Rangiroa and Fakarava over New Caledonia by x 100.

Straight to the point, thank you very much! :thumb:

Hello everybody,
I'm wondering about where to go next year and so far (if everything goes well, but maybe things will change...) I'm evaluating two options: New Caledonia and Vanuatu OR French Polynesia.

Diving is becoming more and more important for me to make a decision on where to go in this case, so I'd like to know where you guys would suggest me to go or simply which of these is your favourite for diving. I KNOW that they are different, just take it as a "I'd rate Rangiroa and Fakarava diving over USS Coolidge and Million Dollar Point in Vanuatu, so my pick would be Polynesia".

Thanks in advance!
Apples and oranges, depends on what you're expecting.
Your question is just like asking whether you prefer chocolate or red wine (if you have a clear answer on that let me know) :
- if sharks and blue water is your thing and you are fine with depths then no brainer : French Polynesia. But then don't ask for corals or colors, don't cry for budget either and don't expect much to see other than beaches and postcard islands. (I see you have less then a 100 dives are you ok with current and 40m-50m depth?)
- if corals,biodiversity, colors, but also manta rays & schools of fish is more your thing then New Caledonia will be better... also prepare to drive and speak french, NC is not much of a tourist nursing place you'll have to set parts of your trip by yourself.
Vanuatu also my used-to-be-home country doesn't rate high for diving in my book except for the Coolidge which is probably one of the best wrecks in the world to be dived (but then are you OK with deep penetration below 40m depth) Other than that Vanuatu is exceptional for culture and nature, probably the best islands in the South Pacific.

If the reason of your question is ticking a name to impress and tell the girls you saw sharks then go to Fakarava.
If the reason of your question is ticking a name to impress WW2 wreck freaks or tell the ole boys you dived the Coolidge then go to Vanuatu.

Apples and oranges, depends on what you're expecting.
Your question is just like asking whether you prefer chocolate or red wine (if you have a clear answer on that let me know) :

I never have any expectation actually. Whatever comes to me is a plus. :)

- if sharks and blue water is your thing and you are fine with depths then no brainer : French Polynesia. But then don't ask for corals or colors, don't cry for budget either and don't expect much to see other than beaches and postcard islands. (I see you have less then a 100 dives are you ok with current and 40m-50m depth?)

I doubt 50 metres dephts would even be in the talks, but as far as 30 I'd be fine. I know currents will be quite a challenge, I tried some of those in Palau and Peleliu (especially): I'm nowhere near an expert as you guys, but not a total noob either. I think that after the first dives the DM will eventually realize if I better GTFO (haha) or can continue diving.

- if corals,biodiversity, colors, but also manta rays & schools of fish is more your thing then New Caledonia will be better... also prepare to drive and speak french, NC is not much of a tourist nursing place you'll have to set parts of your trip by yourself.

Thanks for the heads up! Interesting to read the different kind of marine life between the two, something I was looking forward to hear! Trying my little to nothing french will be a challenge, but I managed to travel in tougher places so not worried about that. And about travelling solo... is there any other way to travel? :wink:

Vanuatu also my used-to-be-home country doesn't rate high for diving in my book except for the Coolidge which is probably one of the best wrecks in the world to be dived (but then are you OK with deep penetration below 40m depth) Other than that Vanuatu is exceptional for culture and nature, probably the best islands in the South Pacific.

Very interesting, yeah from what I'm studying Vanuatu is amazing and that's why it was my first choice for the next year's travel. But again when it comes to diving I see another kinda "down vote"... If it wasn't for that amazing Mount Yasur volcano, FP would be a no-brainer.

If the reason of your question is ticking a name to impress and tell the girls you saw sharks then go to Fakarava.
If the reason of your question is ticking a name to impress WW2 wreck freaks or tell the ole boys you dived the Coolidge then go to Vanuatu.

Nothing of these really.

Thanks for brining up a clear picture of the two scenarios.

Last edited:
If you do go to see old man Yasur and want to really experience Tanna Sputnikboy let me know - I have a small bit of land there. Local Ni Van accomdation with my lovely friend Tom right next door overlooking the blue holes. Tanna btw is the most expensive part of Van but still not in FP league.

If you do go to see old man Yasur and want to really experience Tanna Sputnikboy let me know - I have a small bit of land there. Local Ni Van accomdation with my lovely friend Tom right next door overlooking the blue holes. Tanna btw is the most expensive part of Van but still not in FP league.

Thanks! I will! Vanuatu is still in my wishlist and not only for diving. Mt Yasur is actually the thing which attracts me the most. :callme: At this time I'm studying Fiji but I'm not sold. Truth to be told, I'd love to go back to FP again next year... :eyebrow:

Vanuatu as a country is amazing, one of my favorites in the region. Diving wise it indeed not that special. You have of course the WW2 stuff in Santo, and there are some nice wrecks in Port Vila harbour (great little town!).

The best reefs I found was off Epi, around Lelepa off Efate. The best one I did was probably Aniwa island, and I've been told Cook's reef is very good. I don't thing any dive operator offers these dives however, you'd need to find a private boat.

Mt Yasur is really cool, as is Marum on Ambrym.

I didn't dive in Vanuatu but was fortunate to see Mt Yasur Volcano in Tanna. It was spectacular especially after sunset.
If you end up going there make sure to take into consideration rainy weather/ amount of time spent in Tanna.
We made to Volcano on 2nd attempt only (on the 2nd day)
1st day attempt (1st day) was not successful due to heavy rains and rising water level of the river which we had to cross by cars.
Other peeps who came to Tanna for shorter period had to leave empty-handed.
Not sure how the situation now and if they built a bridge but that's how it was few years ago.

No bridge still AFAIK. Chinese roadworks company were paving the Island ring road, paving up to Yasur stops just past the hospital.

I understand time constraints and not everyone wants to see the same thing but spending a week on Tanna will only touch the surface. Fridays are hopping over at port Resolution with the John Frum Cargo cult ceremony, talk to locals and see if you can get to Yaohnenen for the Prince Phillip cargo cult (shhh don't tell them phil is not doing too well lol) waterfalls, blue holes, Yankel village and of course Kava.....drink lots of Kava, everything makes more sense.

As menow has mentioned there's so much each island has to offer - Malakeula the 'black magic' island and the Wallis and Fortuna group are well worth checking out. Malakeula, Ambrym and Ambae are reachable by plane - last time I went to W&F was a long long time ago when sailing through there but wow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom