VDH flat plate, regular hose setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kasey Kohler

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys, I’m in the market for another backplate, I don’t dive double hose I’m not interested and I only dive single tank. All diving is done in warm water
Has anyone used a VDH flat plate with just a regular hose setup? Would this be a good idea for my type of diving? Would it be comfortable? Apparently the harness is setup slightly different not sure that would be a big deal.

I have a VDH 18# wing waiting to be used.

Thanks, Kasey.

It will work fine with single hose. It will, by design, sit lower on your back, so you might run your tank higher. If you are looking for a light rig, it is excellent. I use mine almost exclusively for double hose, but have also used it for single hose too. Is there something you don't like with a standard plate?

It will work fine with single hose. It will, by design, sit lower on your back, so you might run your tank higher. If you are looking for a light rig, it is excellent. I use mine almost exclusively for double hose, but have also used it for single hose too. Is there something you don't like with a standard plate?

It’s not that I don’t like standard plates. But from what I understand the standard plates are angled for doubles. I put my name on the list for a freedom plate but that might take some time so I wanted to pick up another one while I wait for that. I thought the VDH flat plate looked really cool but maybe I should just go with a standard one.

Can't beat them for simplicity. Don't fear picking one up.

I have dove it with dbl al63, lp85, and al80's, in anything from 7mm, a 3mm shorty, and just a t-shirt. No, I don't have pictures close up. Keep in mind, with a double hose, you put the can at your shoulder blades. You set the height by the length of the chest loops. If you are that nervous, get an oxycheq soft plate.....

I have a VDH flat plate teamed up with an older Dive Rite horseshoe shaped rear wing (~30lb lift) and used it seamlessly between a Kraken DH, RAM DH and my USD Conshelf 14 Sea Hornet Command Air Hybrid single hose on 88cu ft aluminium and 12L Faber steel tanks. About 60 dives on it now.

The only adjustments I need to make when switching over from DH to SH is the tank height/diameter via the clinch straps... with just a 3mm steamer suit the flat plate is comfortable, and small enough to sit above the weights if you use a belt.

One tip is to ensure the straps are routed in cross-over fashion at the slots, helps hold them in correct position when donning.

Back
Top Bottom