Vegetarians?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dive buddy and I are both vegan-vegetarians . . . we'd love to be on a live-aboard dive boat with other vegetarian divers.

We've been on 3 live-aboard dive boats, and each time, the other divers have made harsh remarks about our eating habits and also about the fact that we don't drink alcohol. We're hesitant to go on another live-aboard because of the strangely-harsh reaction our eating and non-drinking seems to bring about (even though we absolutely never talk about our vegetarianims or sobriety, and NEVER push it on other people).

We try to be very civil members of the liveaboard community, but for some reason, all three times we've endured gossip and rude jokes about our lifestyle.

Has anyone else had this type of experience?

We are feeling that we should try to organize a live-aboard dive boat for vegetarian divers.

Aloha,
Dee

Yes, people feel that because you don't do something you're passing judgment on their lifestyle. I never even liked to call myself a vegetarian and would just say that I don't eat meat. I will say that over the past 18 years attitudes have changed, and I've found less hostility, but I have had lots of encounters in the past.

Immediately I would get defensive reactions from some people even though I would explain that I made a personal choice for myself and I respect the rights of others to make the same choice. People would press me as to reasons: Is it health? No, in fact a strict vegetarian diet without fish is probably less healthy than a predominantly vegetarian diet with occasional fish. Then finally pressed I would say it's because of my spiritual beliefs and would get pressed with the what religion are you question. Finally when I had had enough of the grilling and told the truth and said I was Catholic and following my personal interpretation of the "thou shalt not kill" commandment it would simply infuriate people enough to finally leave me alone. I really hated that it would come to that because the interrogations felt invasive. I mean, who cares if I don't eat meat - more meat for those who do.

I would imagine the same goes for abstaining from alcohol. I've only known a handful of people who "just didn't drink" but yet still went out and had fun with others and did not pass judgment. But I've encountered others who were quite judgmental about alcohol. Plus, I have known some hardcore vegans who would make a stink about others eating meat, so I know sometimes people expect that reaction and so they go on the offensive.

It sounds like you do your best to respect the choices of others though, so it's sad that you've encountered others who don't respect yours. I've found that's often a sign people have some discomfort or lack conviction about their own choices, so they can't accept that someone has made a different choice.

My husband (an omnivore) explained that it is implicit judgment. By not eating meat you are communicating that you think it's wrong. But big deal. I also find country music just plain wrong but that doesn't mean I expect others to give up their music choices just because they don't suit me.

But, over the past 18 years, people's attitudes have become far more accepting. I would just communicate with the liveaboard that you've encountered some hostility - maybe they'll even let you talk with the other people on board before you book to decide if you'll get on.

I've noticed a lot of people referencing tofu. Please do mind your soy intake as too much soy can interfere with hormones. Soy should be used in moderation. (I've had horrible experiences with too much soy and just read that two much soy during pregnancy can alter the development of the baby's reproductive health!) Black beans, garbanzo beans, red beans, mung beans, lentils, adzuki beans, etc. are all excellent choices (just mix them with rice for the complete amino acids). Variety is critical to a vegetarian diet.

Plus, our favorite is Quorn patties and grounds that are made from mushroom protein. They have grounds that go well on pizza and make excellent veg chili and tacos. This is by far the best product I have seen.

I also second (or maybe fourth) the Moosewood series. Moosewood Cooks at Home is my new favorite - lots of quick and easy recipes.

"After carefully examining all of the evidence, the panel was not able to find a level at which consumption of processed meat could be reliably considered completely safe. Every 1.7 ounces of processed meat consumed per day increases risk of colorectal cancer by 21 percent."

Kansas City infoZine News - Excess Body Fat Causes Cancer - USA

www.dietandcancerreport.org/downloads/chapters/chapter_12.pdf

The majority of people are literally killing themselves, as they participate in killing of millions of animals.

Homo Sapien?

Not really!

Aloha Yogini,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply . . . a lot of good food for thought in your post! It's sad to think that people believe we are judging their lifestyle, so they would go on the offensive and judge us first.

We've done daily morning yoga on our dive boats, too. This is such a wonderful way to begin each day, sitting in the fresh sea air and watching the sun rise. When we were on the Kona Aggressor boat, they actually provided yoga mats! For the Mike Ball Spoilsport boat in Australia, we brought our own yoga mats.

My dive buddy and I are like you, in that we believe each person makes their own eating choices. I am very comfortable sitting next to someone eating meat, and would never judge them. We don't even talk about what we eat or don't eat. So that's why we were so surprised to receive harsh remarks and hear others gossip about our eating habits, on the boats.

We LOVE live-aboard diving, because you can access gorgeous remote dive locations and enjoy multiple dives.

If anyone on this forum has had positive liveaboard dive boat experiences, while maintaining vegetarian eating on-board, we'd love your suggestions for dive boats.

We'd love to sign on for a vegetarian / yoga liveaboard dive trip, if anyone knows of one.

Aloha,
Dee

No problem Aloha Diver. I used to be much more hard line about things in my youth, but over the years trying to get my family to accept my decisions I've learned to use the argument, "Hey, I can respect your choices but you have to respect mine as well." That quite often works with people and I think that if people see vegetarians as calm, rational, open-minded and respectful people, I think that will do more towards making more "converts" than shoving a PETA brochure at them.

Good for you for doing yoga and thanks for the tip on the Kona Aggressor. That's awesome that they provide that. We were actually planning to organize a yoga and diving fusion trip–a land-based one though, so we can offer more room for yoga and activities for non-divers–but one of us got pregnant (so much for my divemaster class I was taking!) So that plan is on hold until realistically next year, but we do plan on offering fusion trips. I have a mailing list on my site if you want to join and I will keep you updated.

The big problem I see as to why people get so aggressive is your behavior is indirectly challenging a behavior they have never questioned themselves. So they don't have much security in their own beliefs, that's why they feel so threatened by yours. It's the same with religion. So many people are Christian, Muslim, etc. because their parents were and they think that's the only way things are. Without really taking a critical look at your own faith and asking the question, "Is this what I really believe?" you can be quite threatened by and terrified of people who believe something different.

Still, I understand wanting to do the screening before you sign up to such close quarters. Unlike being on a cruise ship, you can't avoid people who are hostile to you on a liveaboard. You might even try picking a date and posting on Scuba Board that you are booking a vegetarian liveaboard trip. I bet you'd get some people from here to sign up!

News December 2007....more reasons to become a vegetarian:

FOXNews.com - Large Study Links Red, Processed Meat to Certain Cancers - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News

"People who eat a lot of red and processed meats have a higher risk of developing several types of cancer, including lung cancer and colorectal cancer, according to a new study from the National Cancer Institute.

For the study, researchers examined data from a large U.S. diet and health study, which began in 1995 and involved 500,000 men and women ages 50-71.

The research was conducted by Amanda Cross and colleagues at the National Cancer Institute and is published in the latest issue of PLoS Medicine.

People who ate the most red meat were 25 percent more likely to be diagnosed with bowel, liver, lung and esophageal cancer during the eight-year study, compared to those who consumed small amounts of this type of meat.

The researchers also found that people who ate the most processed meats, including bacon, ham and lunch meat, had a 20 percent higher risk of colorectal cancer and a 16 percent higher risk of lung cancer.

Researchers say 1 in 10 colorectal and 1 in 10 lung cancers could be avoided if people reduced their red and processed meat intake to very low amounts.

Most of the study participants were non-Hispanic white males and females, so these findings may not apply to people with different genetic backgrounds, the authors said. But the findings add to the evidence that suggests that decreased consumption of red and processed meats could reduce the incidence of several types of cancer. The American Cancer Society, for example, has warned for more than a decade of a connection between red meat and colon cancer."

:shakehead:

veggie about 20 years. vegan 8. i find it helpful to think about what you are going to add to your diet (more beans and bean products, grains and grain products, vegetables, fruit, nuts, different kinds of vegetable and nut oils) than what you are eliminating or substituting for. less processed - the more the food resembles how it started out - the better. and the more variety the better for getting the macro and micronutrients you need. and be careful not too overdo the dairy and eggs as many new veggies do being unsure of what to eat.

vegweb (tons of recipes)
postpunkkitchen
(i'm not allowed to post links yet)
just copy paste. they are dotcoms

yay new veggie! :clapping:

I have only been a vegetarian for a year when I realized I really didn't have to eat meat (never really liked it except for fish which I can happily do without). I did tons of research before i did it, the only thing PETA gave me was an awesome college cookbook that made my life as far as cooking goes insanely easy. Like people have said before make sure you eat enough of the right foods. I have never felt better and I think its easier (unless i go out to eat) to be a veg. Just be careful of eating bad/fatty foods. Everything is good in moderation. I gained about 15 pounds when I switched and started to eat healthier foods and lost it and more. Good luck on it all, its well worth it :)

edit: a lot of Indian and Asian foods have great vegetarian friendly recipes!

Any vegetarians around here? I went veggie about a week ago...one of the few things in my life that I went into head first without doing much research. I've been contemplating it for a few years, but never really took the plunge. However, now that I've been meat-free for a week, I realized that I am clueless. I tried PETA's website, but I'm not a militant about this choice and I am not a vegan. Apparently, the choice I have made is to be "ovo-lacto-vegetarian" (I eat eggs and dairy) if it has to be labeled.

It's not a political choice. I am concerned about cholesterol and trans fats in my own diet and while this probably sounds callus, I don't pity my food, animal or not. Ironically, I'm finding that feeding my carnivorous family is not as challenging as feeding myself, especially when I hate brown bag lunches....still, I'm going to try and sneak some healthier choices past my family's red-meat-loving palates.

I am wondering (and hoping) if there are any experienced vegetarians around who might be able to share recipes, workarounds, alternative menu choices, etc. with me?

Fortunately, I have access to organic and soy products where I live, so veggie-friendly shopping is not an issue.

OK...well nevermind. I just did a search and found RECIPES! YAY!
I eat vegetables, fruit, grain, and fish. No red meat, pork, lamb, sheep, lama, dog, cat, etc. We grown most of the veggies and fruit that we eat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom