Venice shark tooth boat dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its more challenging but folks go in from shore quite a bit.

I only have a dozen or so outings but I don't recall seeing any jet ski's anchored out in the boneyard areas. That is not to say it can't be done. I may well have simply not been out when the skis were out. I have seen a fair number of boats on anchor without anyone on board. Seems to me that if that is allowed, diving off a ski would be. I am also in no way familiar with any boating/nautical regulations so YMMV.

I have seen one jet ski out there before and they were freediving for teeth at 12-15'. At that depth, Megs are rare, but small teeth to be found. There are some that do kayak dives as well. I plan on doing kayak dives when I eventually move down there in the next few years.

I have dove with Mike several times and Jamie a few as well, both do a good job. No issues.

I have also done a few dozen beach dives, all solo, from Venice Beach area (boneyard) all the way down to Blind Pass. If you're looking for Meg teeth specifically, Megs can be found starting around 18', but typically 23-32' is where most of the action seems to happen. That can be 1/4 mile up to around 1.5 miles from the beach. I have made it out to 31' depth on a beach dive, but that was a hella swim out and back.

As others have said, viz can be inches to 15' or so. Probably averages around 5' - 8' in most of the dives I've done in the area.

I have seen one jet ski out there before and they were freediving for teeth at 12-15'. At that depth, Megs are rare, but small teeth to be found. There are some that do kayak dives as well. I plan on doing kayak dives when I eventually move down there in the next few years.

I have dove with Mike several times and Jamie a few as well, both do a good job. No issues.

I have also done a few dozen beach dives, all solo, from Venice Beach area (boneyard) all the way down to Blind Pass. If you're looking for Meg teeth specifically, Megs can be found starting around 18', but typically 23-32' is where most of the action seems to happen. That can be 1/4 mile up to around 1.5 miles from the beach. I have made it out to 31' depth on a beach dive, but that was a hella swim out and back.

As others have said, viz can be inches to 15' or so. Probably averages around 5' - 8' in most of the dives I've done in the area.

How far (ballpark) from shore just to get to the ~12-15’ depth range?

How plentiful are the teeth at that depth? Fairly well dispersed, or a good amount laying about?

I’ve got some big teeth (5.93” is the biggest that I’ve found). I wouldn’t mind more that size, but if I could still find some teeth at all via a shore entry...that would be cool. Thank you.

When we were last there my wife found a hand full of sand tiger and bull shark teeth in the trough just a few feet off the beach. She was snorkeling in about 6' of water.

As far as 6" teeth go, well, I haven't found any of those even in 30'. Those are big relatively rare teeth. You never know though. Big teeth have been right in the surf.

Good luck.

When we were last there my wife found a hand full of sand tiger and bull shark teeth in the trough just a few feet off the beach. She was snorkeling in about 6' of water.

As far as 6" teeth go, well, I haven't found any of those even in 30'. Those are big relatively rare teeth. You never know though. Big teeth have been right in the surf.

Good luck.

Cool. There are a couple beaches near me (up in MD) that I’ve combed for teeth. I got to where I could find 50+ in 3-4 hours with a homemade sifter. Mostly Sand Tiger, Tiger, and Hemi’s. It was pretty rare to find anything approaching a full inch though. Most were ~3/4”.

Yeah...one guy I dove with off NC was on his (I think) fifth trip before he found a tooth that was a full 6”. The one I mentioned above was pretty much 6” on the dot before I cleaned off all the crud from it, lol.

I definitely have no expectations of finding monster teeth messing around off the beach, but to find some in the 1-3” range would be cool.

How far (ballpark) from shore just to get to the ~12-15’ depth range?

How plentiful are the teeth at that depth? Fairly well dispersed, or a good amount laying about?

I’ve got some big teeth (5.93” is the biggest that I’ve found). I wouldn’t mind more that size, but if I could still find some teeth at all via a shore entry...that would be cool. Thank you.

12' ~ 15' depth will vary depending on where you go, but probably 200-400 yds out.

Largest I've found is 4.5" and it was from a shore dive. Boat dives I have a few 4" teeth and smaller megs as well as bunches of other assorted smaller teeth. I have been on boat dives where they brought up teeth a little over 5".

Assorted small teeth <1.5" are pretty much all over the place when you are in the fossil beds.

ps: I asked Mike (Aquanutz Capt), a couple of years ago how many 6"+ teeth have been pulled up in the area, I think he said he's heard of 3 or 4 over the past few Decades...

He said off the coast of NC is where they seem to find the monster 6"+ teeth.

12' ~ 15' depth will vary depending on where you go, but probably 200-400 yds out.

Largest I've found is 4.5" and it was from a shore dive. Boat dives I have a few 4" teeth and smaller megs as well as bunches of other assorted smaller teeth. I have been on boat dives where they brought up teeth a little over 5".

Assorted small teeth <1.5" are pretty much all over the place when you are in the fossil beds.

ps: I asked Mike (Aquanutz Capt), a couple of years ago how many 6"+ teeth have been pulled up in the area, I think he said he's heard of 3 or 4 over the past few Decades...

He said off the coast of NC is where they seem to find the monster 6"+ teeth.

That’s good to know. The next time I make it down there, I’d like to do at least a couple days of shore diving. Thank you.

Even up in NC...6”+ isn’t too common. Ex. Of the ~100 teeth that were recovered by four divers on the trip I took, only one was 6”. There were a bunch in the 4.5” to 5.5” range though. Some smaller ones too. The nicest tooth I walked away with was a ~2” Meg. Gorgeous tooth...brown in color with intact serrations.

The only clean-ish teeth were recovered by a guy that was using a scooter to blow material/dig holes. The teeth that were exposed on the surface had a lot of growth and you needed a good eye to be able to pick them out.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom