Verdigris - give me your best concoction!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhwestfall

Woof!
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got a "train wreck" of a freebie G250... Think the owner never rinsed it. Took 10 days of soaks and sessions in the ultrasonic just to get it apart. So..... what cocktail should i try to maybe clean it up?

Got a "train wreck" of a freebie G250... Think the owner never rinsed it. Took 10 days of soaks and sessions in the ultrasonic just to get it apart. So..... what cocktail should i try to maybe clean it up?
Hot water, citric acid and Simple Green Crystal as a surfactant.

My method involves gasoline and Styrofoam...

@rsingler @couv (I'm sure I'm not even close to all who could give me a good suggestion)...

Not in the US cleaner:
15% (by weight) *phosphoric acid/hot water solution
just a bit of dish soap or simple green (surfactant.) Use Crystal Simple Green if you don't like the smell of regular.
Optional: just a bit (less than the amount of soap you use) propylene or ethylene glycol (penetrant). Found in anti-freeze.

In the US cleaner: Same thing, but 2-3% phosphoric acid.

*I purchase it here: Food Grade Phosphoric Acid, 85% Concentration | eBay

BTW: After any acid bath it is good practice to follow with a baking soda solution then a hot water rinse/soak.

When retrieving sunglasses which are coated in calcium, zebra-mussels, and who knows what else, I soak them in diluted bleach which works quite well. I don't know the exact concentration, maybe 1-part bleach to 10-parts water.

I probably wouldn't soak anything "squishy" like o-rings, or solicon parts. It's probably fine for most high-quality plastics and metal.

Yah, @couv's got the secret recipe...
'Cept I'm not gonna do nothing "by weight".
Mark I eyeball and a Pyrex measuring cup. Minus 40% for that Specific Gravity thing.
But take a picture of yourself, @couv, in your wizard's cap pouring phosphoric acid into a glass beaker on a brass scale, in a darkened room with a glint in your eye, and a black cat in the corner. :stirpot::zap1:
I need a portrait for the shop.

CapitalPowerlessHydatidtapeworm-max-1mb.gif

Actually, you would be disappointed seeing my "chemistry set." My mixing flask is a repurposed Metamucil container with a couple of Sharpie marks on it. But it does fit nicely in my microwave oven.

Weigh, measure and mark once-mix as often as needed.

Maybe.

It may be an urban legend, but I was given to understand that CLR is formulated for different areas of the country. The idea being to combat the type of hard minerals found in the local municipal water. Of course, on the left coast, there are other considerations as to what can be stocked on the store shelves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom