Verizon's new Underwater Cell Phone...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had clients ask me, prior to dive trips, if I will be available by cell. I have told them that yes, I will be available by cell phone as soon as a provider offers one that works at 30M underwater. Verizon is threatening the one part of the planet where I can still find peace of mind.

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW VERIZON?:bash:

markr:
Assuming you get left behind in range of a cell tower.

Ugh. Now we'll have people who can't keep off the reef AND can't leave their cell phone on the shore.

Now, if someone came up with a way to enable email and IM during deco stops I think there is a market for that.... The BubbleBerry!

shellim123:
I will NEVER understand the water proof MP3, or cell phone thing! Why ruin the peace?:no

They are obviously designed for getting caught in the rain, accidently knocked into the sink, getting dropped in the toliet, they aren't designed for calls underwater. It's a very good idea.

Walter:
They are obviously designed for getting caught in the rain, accidently knocked into the sink, getting dropped in the toliet, they aren't designed for calls underwater. It's a very good idea.

I think it's long overdue. Ironically I was having a conversation at work last week (co-worker had just dropped his phone in the toilet and ruined it :rofl3: ) and saying "with all the technology, howcome they can't make a phone that's waterproof?" And then I saw this.

yep. that's right. if you look at the specs it's only good for 3 feet. though the author of the article did an 'unscientific test' in the pool to 6' .

Looks like it's just for the accidental imersion. Or for someone who works around water a lot.

Regarding "Open water"

It's amazing to 110 miles out in the Flower Garden Banks NMS (Gulf of Mexico) and see folks talking on their cell phones (while on the boat, of course). Nope, they aren't satellite phones---there's a tower on one of the nearby oil platforms. When conditions are fair, they can usually hit that tower.
Meanwhile, my cell phone is probably still in the trunk of my car. I'll get back to it in a couple of days.

Walter:

I had called 911 to report a couple of guys who had managed to impale themselves in a boating accident.

When the ambulance arrived, I absentmindedly put my phone in my drysuit pocket and went diving.

When I surfaced and took off the drysuit, the phone was dead. It died from the humidity in my suit!

I'd love a phone that could hold up to a little dampness.

Terry

shellim123:
John! :whack: stop trying to get my number! :rofl3:
OHH come on please :):D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom