Vertebrae?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I'am going to try this again. It's fossilized, and it was some type of vertebra. Therefore it is a fossilized bone. Lol

OK, I'll assume you know the difference between native bone and fossilized bone. If yours is fossilized, you may really have a dino:)

I tried the hot needle test and the results were no smoke, and no smell. When I tap it against a known fossil, it has the sound of china.
That is the only test that I know of.

Obviously I don't know what you have, though I have some ideas. If that vertebra is truly fossilized you have an interesting find.
I suggest t you take it to a geologist or paleontologist to get a better characterization. Good luck!

It is a vertebra body

In view number 2 portions of transverse process are visible.

The animal or fish it belonged to is difficult perhaps impossible to determine. I would suggest taking it to the local college biology instructor for positive ID or guessImation of its origin.

Many years ago my tribe traveled often to the wilds of Baja California - one tip was to Scammon's Lagoon where the whales met, greet, breed, have baby whales and yes pass on to the great whale migration in the sky.

One trip we came upon an old disjointed whale skeleton. So we, of course took so a few parts including whale vertebrae . We drug them home fibre glassed them and proceeded to convert them into stools for our "pads."
Marriage determined they were not a item for the living room so off to the garage. Time, home changes and suddenly they became a part of our dive adventures of the past

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom