Vertigo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

remf3

Reaction score
I was just recently on a four day trip spent on a boat. As it's the first time I've ever been on a small boat in the ocean, I was worried about sea sickness. I got a Rx from my GP for scopalamine patches. I also got some Bonine (OTC Meclazine, 25mg) so I could get some overlapping coverage (I am perhaps too cautious sometimes). I used only one transdermal patch, so it was worn off by the last day of diving and I took a bonine that same morning. We docked and then came home. Here's the problem. I'm still feeling 3-5 foot swells...and I'm sitting at my desk. It's been greater the 24 hrs since getting off the boat. The scopalamine and the meclizine should be well out of my system by now, so what's going on? Is it normal to have vertigo for this long following a boat dive? There's no nausea. I'm also really swollen...I look like a CHF'er who just ate a pound of salt. I'm fairly certain that there are no interactions with the two drugs, looked it up before I started self medicating. I also had no problems on the trip or with the dives.
Any advice is appreciated.

Hi remf3,

Withdrawal symptoms from scopolamine can include vertigo, dizziness, nausea & headache. These are mostly reported by people that have used it for at least 3 days, and frequently do not appear until 24 hours or more after removal of the patch/the last dose.

These symptoms are expected to clear fairly rapidly, and if they persist medical attention should be sought.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I've actually have this happen every time I go offshore, and I don't use any kind of seasickness meds/patches (guess I'm one of those people who got lucky as far as sea sickness goes.) I'll usually still feel as if I were on the boat for about a day or so after going offshore. It's kind of like when you've been rollerblading for a while and go back to regular shoes, you still have that feeling of being on the blades for a little while...

Hi Chrispete,

.... is what you are describing.

It is experienced by some individuals upon returning to land after having spent an extended period on a boat, plane or train. The sensation is one of continued motion. The syndrome seems to occur more frequently, but not exclusively, in middle-aged women, and may last from hours to months to years.

It generally is not helped by medications like scopolamine or meclizine, but may be helped by benzodiazepines such as Valium & Xanax.

MDDS would not be diagnosed until a post-use adverse reaction to mal de mer medications was ruled out.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom