Very nervous about "deep" dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver84, first of all there's no need to spend thousands of dollars on equipment anytime soon. My wife and I only own our own masks, fins, snorkels, gloves, boots, and cameras. We rent the rest.

But as for panicking at depth, A) you'll get comfortable in shallow water first, so you're less likely to panic anywhere, and B) it's not the distance to the surface that matters most, it's the distance to your buddy. Even when you are 60 or 100 feet vertically from the surface, air and assistance should always be only be a few feet away horizontally.

Have fun!

Hi John. I meant $1,000 for both of us, including the confined water part of the class ($350 each) and the snorkels, fins and mask (I'm guessing $300 total).

Thanks for the feedback - I'm really unlikely to panic, but it helps to know that if my wife or I want to call the dive in shallow water, we can be up to the surface in minutes.

One more thing for this thread - I find it kind of scary that after only 4 dives we will be expected to do everything on our own. Is it common for vacation divers to hire guides or DMs to show them around (and keep an eye on them) underwater, since they're most likely diving only a few times every 6 months?

Hi diver84,

Everyone has fears, sometimes rational and sometimes not. My wife had tremendous fear of having water in her mask and flooding and clearing her mask was easily the most difficult skill for her in becoming OW certified. No one in the family pushed her excessively to practice this skill after certification but we encouraged her to work on it whenever it was necessary. Over time, she became adept at the skill and lost her fear entirely. Now, at about 70 dives, she's a reasonably competent, safe, and skilled diver and buddy.

This story may or may not apply to your feelings about diving at depth. Seems as if you're quite enthusiasic about learning to dive. Take it easy and see how you feel after you have a little experience under your weight belt.

Good diving, Craig

PS Many dive operations have DMs in the water for some or all dives. You can find this out by communicating with the operator before your trip. You can always decide to accompany the DM for a time while you get used to more independent diving.

One more thing for this thread - I find it kind of scary that after only 4 dives we will be expected to do everything on our own. Is it common for vacation divers to hire guides or DMs to show them around (and keep an eye on them) underwater, since they're most likely diving only a few times every 6 months?

Hi,
At some resorts (divecenters) in egypt, you need to have a certain number of dives ( 30 where I was) to dive without a guide.

Divemaster/Instructor guides are provided for every 1-6 divers at no extra charge (although we tip them heavily) where my wife and I like to dive in the Florida Keys.

I've never been to the USVI, though.

Greetings diver84 welcome to Scuba Board great to have you. I think you have received some really great advice. From what you have mentioned you two should be fine in a OW coarse. Just take your time shopping for an instructor and be very up front and honest with them.
The instructor I assist in training divers always does the skill development portion of the OW dives on a fixed platform or boat that is around 20'. This is just to help ease those who have reservations like yourself. One thing I would encourage you to do is to practice your 18 basic skills often until they become habit. Be very comfortable performing these skills at the depths "YOU ARE DIVING". Once you get your OW certification you can decide how deep you want to dive, that is up to 60'. I would not recommend going beyond that with out further training.
In our training we always try to get OW students to around 45-50' on at least one dive to experience the thermocline but this is not set in stone. The tour portion of the OW dives is up to your instructor and you.
Have fun and I have had some very long shallow dives this year that were nothing short of awesome! It is one of my favorite things to do after doing deeper dives I enjoy the relaxing slow paced shallow dives. I have seen some really awesome fish and aquatic life on these dives.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

There is no expectation for you to do everything on your own. . . You may want to go to an area you are familiar with from snorkeling, or you can go with members of a local dive club, or divers you'll meet at a local dive shop. Gone are the days when a dive club of 200 divers would dive close together. You can arrange a dive with a couple of divers that have been to a spot before. . . that's a start.

Some charter boats will put you in the water with a guide, In Cozumel it is a requirement of their underwater park. If the guide says the reef dive is 80 feet. . . often you can stay at the top of the reef in 20 feet. New divers will burn through a tank more quickly than experienced divers (you're more excited). But if you stay at 20 feet and they are at 80 feet, you can see what they're seeing in the deeper water even when they pass you going up, because they're out of air.

You've experienced freedom under water when you've snorkeled, now you can still enjoy your freedom, but stay with the fish longer. Without experience with divers you are nervous about what to expect. To put into perspective what happens during a dive. . . compare it to traveling to a shopping mall. A number of people will scatter among the different stores. Some will lose track of time, looking at something they're interested in, their partner has to wait to continue shopping, and should speak to their partner. Most shoppers will share time looking at what they are interested in, but stay close to their partner, and others in their group. That's the goal of divers diving together. Look at what you like, and share it with the others.

I just happened into this discussion and thought I would add some comments. When I did my Advance OW course I remember being stressed about going beyond 60' never mind performing skills at depth. On the ride out to the site I thought I would not make it off the boat, but I did. I have taken may classes since then to educate myself and make me a better diver BUT I never do anything I am afraid to do. I like to challenge myself, but within my skills. I also travel a bit and dive 'on the road' as often as possible. In my experience resort locations like the islands usually put a DM in the water while domestic diving is like at home; you are on your own. I always dive with the mindset that I am on my own because ultimately you must rely on your own skills, that is not to say you and your buddy don't share responsibilities for each other but I hope you know what I am saying. The DM maybe leading a large group and has a big responsibility to watch all of you, so help them out by not be diving beyond your skills. Assembly your own setup and understand how it works even if your renting. As you stated you live in NE as do I, trust me there is lots to see here and properly outfitted you will be comfortable. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Ask lots of questions! With the check out dives they will generally lead you on one dive at a shallow depth - especially if you have requested this. After that you may be part of a big group and you and your buddy will stay at your agreed upon depth while everyone else goes deeper. If you're willing to pay for a guide they can usually provide one. :wink: But like I mentioned ask lots of questions.

I know it seems overwhelming at the moment, but it is all relative and as your understanding and experience increase I am sure you will surprise yourself! All the best and have fun.

Jack

While it's easy to suggest that you need to calm down. Cave Diver's comment is really accurate, you will not be diving to 60 during OW certification. The first time I went to about 60 ft. after a refresher course, I was with a DM and didn't notice much in the way of changes that were significnat. When we reached our destination, I knew I was deeper than 30 feet,(slightly lower light, different colors, etc) and my computer told me I was a 58 ft. The sights we no more or less enjoyable and when I later dove shallower waters, I was more confident and calmer. Getting your C-card doesn't mean you have to dive any deeper than 30 ft, that's your choice. You'll just be better trained.

I so far have taken open and advanced open water courses with max depth of 120 ft. Most of my dives now are in 50 or less due to the bottom temps of my local quarry being 45 deg F. (i don't have a dry suit yet). But I totally understand your fears though. Even though I wasn't scared to go deeper myself, i'm scared for my wife in general with scuba. I want to get her to at least try it but I don't want to push her into the sport that can be dangerous if you don't like it or pay attention. I would love to go diving with my wife. I just have to make sure she is serious enough to do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom