Very odd question about diving... and things you may find while doing so... O_o

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks guys for your input. yea, i dont think search and rescue will be in my future.. It was just an odd thought that popped in my head.... We get people that go missing at least once a year in my city because of the power plant that creates some nasty undertows... and we get ppl that are not from here swim right by them because its like warm bath water, vrs the chilly waters up the beach... its not too often, but it does happen... i guess thats what im afraid of... someone goes missing, and the dont find the body, and then im out and about and boom.... found him... *shudders*

And of course, with any wreck i plan to explore, it is to be respected. I wouldnt do it any other way.

Show of hands..How many people added the third "really" in their heads and were annoyed that he didn't include it
I really, really, really wish he did include it.

---------- Post added September 20th, 2015 at 12:52 AM ----------

Some wisdom a grizzled old sea captain once imparted on my included this gem that popped out randomly one day: "If you have to find a body, it is better if it is fresh."

I would have thought the line would be, "if you have to find a body, it better not be yours."

Cold water can preserve bodies along time. Wreck diving mid 70's in lake superior a well preserved crewman was found in the engine room. Ship had been on bottom for 28 years. Not a grave site.

If you are part of a recovery operation, you shouldn't be surprised if you find remains, they ARE what you are looking/feeling for. On the other hand, feeling for remains on a boat that went down a few days before and finding a hand that grabs back at you would be a lot scarier.
It's amazing how calm that diver was when he realized that someone had not only survived the sinking, but survived over 60 hours in an air pocket!

If you are part of a recovery operation, you shouldn't be surprised if you find remains, they ARE what you are looking/feeling for. On the other hand, feeling for remains on a boat that went down a few days before and finding a hand that grabs back at you would be a lot scarier.
It's amazing how calm that diver was when he realized that someone had not only survived the sinking, but survived over 60 hours in an air pocket!

I think I might have changed the colour of the water at that point!

I am an S&R diver also and have recovered one and assisted in others. As a S&R diver, you are providing a service to help the family with their overcoming the grief of the loss of a loved one. It can be creepy as most dives are zero vis but you are helping someone in ways 99% of the population can never even consider. If you are considering it, don't shy away from it for the body portion as most dives around here are for vehicle and evidence recovery with an occasional body. It helps me in those instances to remember the old church song of Earthern Vessels. the person they knew is long gone. You are recovering the container they recognize. You can't change the outcome but the service you provide is a tremendous help permitting the family to heal and move on with their lifes.

Consider for instance that without the body, a single income family, where the victim was the sole provider, may result in a delay of death benefits for several years. They are then faced with not only the loss of a loved one but the uncertainly of what happened and no income to boot! We've seen that happen.

As with some other things I have done in my life, I hate the circumstances and I can't change that but I can still help to ease the pain.

If you are ever considering S&R or PSD and feel that your dive skills are strong enough, follow through with the inquiry to the local group. It may be the most rewarding assignment you will ever hate.

I am an S&R diver also and have recovered one and assisted in others. As a S&R diver, you are providing a service to help the family with their overcoming the grief of the loss of a loved one. It can be creepy as most dives are zero vis but you are helping someone in ways 99% of the population can never even consider. If you are considering it, don't shy away from it for the body portion as most dives around here are for vehicle and evidence recovery with an occasional body. It helps me in those instances to remember the old church song of Earthern Vessels. the person they knew is long gone. You are recovering the container they recognize. You can't change the outcome but the service you provide is a tremendous help permitting the family to heal and move on with their lifes.

Consider for instance that without the body, a single income family, where the victim was the sole provider, may result in a delay of death benefits for several years. They are then faced with not only the loss of a loved one but the uncertainly of what happened and no income to boot! We've seen that happen.

As with some other things I have done in my life, I hate the circumstances and I can't change that but I can still help to ease the pain.

If you are ever considering S&R or PSD and feel that your dive skills are strong enough, follow through with the inquiry to the local group. It may be the most rewarding assignment you will ever hate.

Wow.. that is put into a different perspective that i really never thought about... Thank you for this.

Wow. thats amazing how he survived. Still, i think once you got over the shock factor of the live body starteling you, you would be more relieved that someone is alive and survived!! *shurgg* Idk, but still amazing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom