Vest or similar for under a shorty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

candacebot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a vest or similar for layering under a 2mm shorty in Cozumel for a little added warmth around the core if needed. This September will be my first diving in warm water - my local water is +/-50-55 degrees - so I'm wanting to take some layering options. My partner who definitely feels the cold while diving more than I do regularly dives Cozumel in a 2mm shorty but I would hate to be cold! Thanks in advance for any advice!

September should be very warm there, but if you want to add the least amount of neoprene and get the biggest benefit, consider a hood. We offer several, but this very stretchy, reversible 2 mm hood might be perfect for your needs.

WetsuitHood 2mm Reversible Blue Camo-Green Camo | MAKO Spearguns

reversible-hood-blue-green.png

@guruboy I wear a 7mm suit with hood up here.
@MAKO Spearguns thank you for the recommendation! But, to be honest, one of the things I am most excited about is diving WITHOUT a hood :)

In 50-55 I use a drysuit. So you're probably more cold tolerant than I am. You'd probably be ok with just the shorty.

I dive an old beat up 3mm shorty (probably 1mm by now) with a hood in cozumel.

A 2 mm hood is very different than a cold water hood. you would be surprised how comfortable it is.

You might also consider using a dive skin or a lycra top and bottom. The lycra will provide sun protection, sting protection, some protection from accidental contact with the bottom and will actually help keep you cool on the surface interval if you keep the material moist. Don't underestimate the need for sun protection. The lycra/nylon will provide negligible thermal benefit in the water.

We have separate tops, bottoms and even a matching lycra hood which, when combined, provide nearly 100% sun protection and will have zero effect on buoyancy. Probably more environmentally conscious than "bathing" in sun screen.

In 50-55 I use a drysuit. So you're probably more cold tolerant than I am. You'd probably be ok with just the shorty.

I dive an old beat up 3mm shorty (probably 1mm by now) with a hood in cozumel.
That is really useful reference info, thank you!

@guruboy I wear a 7mm suit with hood up here.
@MAKO Spearguns thank you for the recommendation! But, to be honest, one of the things I am most excited about is diving WITHOUT a hood :)
adding a hood will really not make much difference if you are wearing a shorty. you are losing way more heat through your exposed arms and legs than through your head. covering arms and legs is a better solution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom