vestibular bend (IEDCI) - will the balance restore completely?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 for what Dr. Mitchell said. A few thoughts about the other points mentioned here...

1) I believe that IEDC is underdiagnosed. For a number of reasons, the inner ear seems to be more susceptible to decompression injury than other tissues. The mechanisms of this are not completely understood.

Basically there are two ways for bubbles to get into any tissue - they can form there on ascent or they can be carried there. In the second scenario, they form in other tissues, and then move from the veins (where they would normally be taken to the lungs and cleared) to the arteries (bypassing the lungs, by a PFO or other shunt). Once in the arteries, they "embolize", which means that they are carried into smaller and smaller blood vessels until they eventually block the vessel and deprive the downstream tissue of blood and oxygen. This second mechanism is how an embolic stroke happens in the brain, although this is with pieces of clot rather than bubbles in the non-diving population.

So IEDCS could either be caused by embolized bubbles or bubbles forming in the inner ear. These potential mechanisms are discussed in Dr. Mitchell's excellent article, and elsewhere. Since the brain is better perfused than the inner ear, that might explain why people who bubble and shunt (a large number of divers overall) don't all get strokes.

2) MdDS (Mal de Debarquement Syndrome) is probably not an inner ear problem at all, but a poorly understood phenomenon of the brain. Vestibular testing in these patients is usually normal. As was described above, this can be a potentially debilitating condition, especially since it doesn't go away right away, and stopping diving can't help. As stillswimmingingcircles alluded to, it is more of a feeling of imbalance than true vertigo (with a sensation of environmental rotation).

3) MdDS is not thought to be related to the otoliths. Displacement of these crystals in the inner ear is a separate phenomenon, benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). Certain maneuvers can help reposition these dislodged crystals.

4) Residual balance symptoms after IEDC may be helped by vestibular rehab. This is much like physical rehab after an joint or muscle injury. It's hard to give a prediction as to how soon the symptoms will go away, but it's not uncommon for them to last even if hearing is recovered after recompression therapy.

5) The brain and vestibular system does have the ability to recover and compensate over time, so don't give up!

A little update two months after the accident. My balance is much better, still a little dizziness persists, but I'm sure it will disappear. My hands shake a bit and I have sometimes "white noise" or the sensation that the silence is too loud in my ears (like silent tinnitus). It can also be the side effect of betahistamine I took for one month.

I went to a cardiologist who performed an ECG and an ultrasound, my heart is fine. He said that he can't detect a possible PFO on an ultrasound, for that I need to pass a TTE (via esophagus), but I declined for the moment. I don't plan to dive any more and in case I have a PFO it wouldnt impact my life if I won't dive. And I can always pass this exam if I want.

I miss diving but c est la vie...

A little update two months after the accident. My balance is much better, still a little dizziness persists, but I'm sure it will disappear. My hands shake a bit and I have sometimes "white noise" or the sensation that the silence is too loud in my ears (like silent tinnitus). It can also be the side effect of betahistamine I took for one month.

I went to a cardiologist who performed an ECG and an ultrasound, my heart is fine. He said that he can't detect a possible PFO on an ultrasound, for that I need to pass a TTE (via esophagus), but I declined for the moment. I don't plan to dive any more and in case I have a PFO it wouldnt impact my life if I won't dive. And I can always pass this exam if I want.

I miss diving but c est la vie...
Glad to hear that you are recovering.

Several yrs ago, returned to diving becore I could walk right.
Still get disequilibrium on occasion,rarely diving,usually when prone.I was,warned to expect very slow recovery and likely not complete.
I work on ladders and scaffolds or diving,so it is occasionally an issue but minor.Since I've always had tinnitus, I can't give any hope there.

Wanted to update.

So I had the vestibular bend in September. Until new year all was going better, but I still felt weak and balance was not restored completely. I had also "white tinnitus". I think my nervous system was still affected of the accident, as I had an all body tremor (that I could clearly feel when I tried to perform some more strenuous physical exercises). I had constant ailments (muscle or back pain), and I couldnt jog, only bike a bit, and swim.

Suddenly in January my balance worsened and I started to feel a strong head pressure and like electrical waves in my brain when I turned my head. So I have been like zombi for the last 4 weeks. The head pressure has eased a bit, and waves as well, but I still have the feeling in my head like after the accident - when I turn my head, it feels very weird, as if someone had hit me on the head. Balance is again worse and performing everyday tasks and going to work is frustrating.
My friends and colleagues... everyone thinks I should have made a full recovery a long time ago, but here I am again, feeling off like after the accident.

I dont understand what triggered the worsening. My tinnitus is better and my ears feel a bit delicate, but I dont even have ear pain or a real cold. Maybe some virus triggered a sinusitis? I will see my ENT soon, but Im scared that something is wrong in my head. Will pass the MRI only in March.

This is a warning to everyone that diving accidents are really serious and can affect you a long time, if not forever. Take care.

So sorry to hear. Keep us posted, and good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom