vey interesting article by simon mitchell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lermontov

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499

Very interesting indeed. Thank you for sharing.
I do not feel confortable at all with the accident video though.

Dr. Mitchell's data on gas density and its effect on CO2 retention is interesting, even for OC no-stop diving. According to the graph shown at 46:30, breathing a gas with a density above ~6 g/L carries a significantly increased risk of excessive CO2 retention. Some rather simple math shows us that ordinary air reaches a density of 6 g/L at a depth between 36 and 37m (120'), which is generally regarded as being within recreational limits on air by most agencies. Same thing for standard recreational EAN mixes like 28% or 32%. So, putting some He in your mix when you go below 30m/100' seems to be prudent even for those who don't believe they're narked at those depths.

And also rather interestingly - for me, at least - common normoxic trimixes like 21/35 or 18/45 reach ~6 g/L gas density at practically the same depth as they reach 1.4 bar pPO2.

Dr. Mitchell's data on gas density and its effect on CO2 retention is interesting, even for OC no-stop diving. According to the graph shown at 46:30, breathing a gas with a density above ~6 g/L carries a significantly increased risk of excessive CO2 retention. Some rather simple math shows us that ordinary air reaches a density of 6 g/L at a depth between 36 and 37m (120'), which is generally regarded as being within recreational limits on air by most agencies. Same thing for standard recreational EAN mixes like 28% or 32%. So, putting some He in your mix when you go below 30m/100' seems to be prudent even for those who don't believe they're narked at those depths.

And also rather interestingly - for me, at least - common normoxic trimixes like 21/35 or 18/45 reach ~6 g/L gas density at practically the same depth as they reach 1.4 bar pPO2.

That is why I don't solely consider equivalent nitrogen values but account for gas density! Especially on dives that will carry a higher work load - I will add more helium.

That is why I don't solely consider equivalent nitrogen values but account for gas density! Especially on dives that will carry a higher work load - I will add more helium.
And a scooter for mobility/locomotion as needed!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom