Victoria Vis conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Viz at Henderson was good today... well, until a class came storming through. To get back out, I just followed the silt cloud back to the entry.

I haven't dove much at Henderson. Though, I saw a huge octopus in a horizontal crack at 30'. It didn't move at all, but it just lay wedged in it's home. About time I spotted one.

My dive buddy saw a fish eat a shrimp. The shrimp's head and antennae stuck out of the fish's mouth, while the shrimp periodically twitched. The shrimp looked a little big for that rockfish, but it was definitely an interesting sight.

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
My dive buddy saw a fish eat a shrimp. The shrimp's head and antennae stuck out of the fish's mouth, while the shrimp periodically twitched. The shrimp looked a little big for that rockfish, but it was definitely an interesting sight.

- ChillyWaters
I once saw a ling cod sitting on a ledge with a tail as wide as his hanging out of his mouth. Never underestimate a fish's appetite:wink:

Vis was great at Henderson Pt. this morning. It was about 20 feet in the shallows and at least 50 feet at my deepest depth (120 feet). I had a posse of rockfish (copper and one brown) following me around and grabbing the shrimp that were scared up by my shadow. There were lots of big jellyfish, an octopus (in it's den of course), and a school of juvenile Pacific cod (I've only seen one adult before). Later at Ogden Point Dive Shop, I was told by some returning divers that vis at the breakwater was around 40 feet and the same at Ten-Mile. I guess spring is over.

swankenstein:
and a school of juvenile Pacific cod

I saw a school if fish that I hadn't seen before... I wonder if that was it.

Also saw my first Rock Sole... about 14inches or so. Those guys sure let you get close. If only I had a macro lense...

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
I saw a school if fish that I hadn't seen before... I wonder if that was it.

Also saw my first Rock Sole... about 14inches or so. Those guys sure let you get close. If only I had a macro lense...

- ChillyWaters
It sounds like we had identical dives. (rockfish eating shrimp, octopus in horizontal crack). I videoed my face inches from a rock sole and it didn't move. It blended in so well, it was hard to see it in the video. The juvenile cod were around 2-3 inches long. I'd guess there were around 20 of them. They had the same markings as adults and they had the 2 barbels hanging down under their chins.

OK Mark. Seems as you are doing way more diving than the rest of us. We had 40+ ft below 30ft algie bloom at Willis wednesday. Will try the inlet again next week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom