Video Camera in Hyperbaric Chamber?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadaddy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I did a quick search and couldn't find any answer to this question.

I have the opportunity to do an Introduction to Commercial Diving Course, which includes a session inside of a hyperbaric chamber and I am wondering if it is okay to bring my video camera in with me.

The camera is a Canon HG20 and we'll be simulating 60 feet.

Thanks!

Make sure it doesn't flood under the pressure.

It's a reasonable question. For instance, I assume a sealed battery doesn't have air spaces, but I don't know for sure. I'm not sure if anything else is airtight, and I've seen footage taken by digicams brought into chambers before, so I assume it's generally safe.

It would probably come down to the policy of the chamber (it wouldn't be surprising if they had some sort of no-foreign-object rule). Might want to contact them and check first.

Typically, its not a problem as long as you have a housing that can protect against the pressure. If your cameras housing is rated to more than 60ft, then dont worry...if your planning to just take a camera.....be prepared to buy a new camera :wink:

Water or not, your still going down, and the pressure is the same....think implode

Because you'll be at nearly 3 atm of pressure you run the risk of damaging the imaging chip on your camera. Remember that each pixel on your chip is covered by a micro lens and any air under that lens will be squeezed out. This may put too much pressure on the chip itself and damage it. You may not totally trash your camera but you do run the risk of destroying a few pixels. Also any other integrated circuits, capacitors, etc. that aren't perfectly sealed could be affected. If you want to be safe keep the camera in an u/w housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom