Video Dive Log: Newport's Land's End, July 17, 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CT-Rich

Contributor
Reaction score
[video=youtube;ZGoz0PyUEbA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGoz0PyUEbA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last Friday (July 17th) I took my kids up to Newport for some diving. The game plan was that I would continue to explore Lands End in Newport. I planned on diving out the Eastern opening from the beach at the end of Ledge Road.

I was also interested in testing out my new video camera. My GoPro flooded during a dive a couple of weeks ago and I need to replace it. I decided the to buy a Chinese action camera called the SJ4000. It is not a GoPro, but it does have a lot of very good features, some of which I actually like more. For a mere $87 the SJ4000 did a really great job, as you can see from the video.

Unfortunately, the timing for the dive was not optimal. We arrived while the tide was falling, dead low was going to be at 2:38 PM and we arrived about noon.

After unloading my gear and parking the car (see my last blog) I was in the water about noon. The area off the beach was pretty shallow on the swim out and on the swim in was less than two foot deep. My plan was to swim out and follow the contour of the bottom on an Easterly heading until I reached sand and then head south until I hit my turn around point.

I had heard that there were some swim throughs in the area I was planning on exploring. But as I headed out, I came across some very cool bottom features. The bottom was broken up with alternating ridges and crevasses, giving excellent cover for black fish. I proceeded out to until I reached a depth of 30 fsw and then headed North into the current until I hit my turn around.

IN CONCLUSION: This is a really interesting spot because there is a varied bottom topography that gives home to plenty of marine life. It is exposed to open water, so it can have a significant swell, but the entry point is well protected.

Back
Top Bottom