video editing program recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have a Kodak Zi8 in an Ikelite housing. Yes, nothing fancy. Any recommendations for a video editing program that will work with this (MOV format)?

I have a Kodak Zi8 in an Ikelite housing. Yes, nothing fancy. Any recommendations for a video editing program that will work with this (MOV format)?

I like Sony Vegas Platinum ...around $130-$170 I think.
More complex than some of the cheaper programs, but once you learn it you can do some real cool stuff.
I cut my teeth on Platinum, and now use Vegas Pro 10.....I assume you were not looking to spend $1000+ on ADOBE ...ect?
Of course if you are lucky enough to use APPLE I will be of no help to you. :(

I'm also using Sony Vegas Platinum. I used to use Premiere Elements and liked it up until last year's version. I was going to buy it but it had a lot of really bad reviews so I tried out some demos and switched to Vegas. Bit a of learning curve but it's working for me.

Someday I may buy a Mac and Final Cut but right now I need my computer to do things other than just edit video so I am limited to PC programs.

I use Sony Vegas too, but Adobe and Pinnacle have their fans. I think it's more a matter of what you are most comfortable with.

Download the trial versions and buy the one you like best.

I think an important question others missed is this: Do you just plan to splice clips together, add some titling, some music, and then publish it on Youtube? Or do you plan to create masterpieces of underwater videography?

I'm thinking it's the former, and any decent editing program will do the job superbly at your level (I do all of my videos with iMovie, for example) and if this is your first shot at doing videos then a simple editor would most likely have more than enough capability for you until you need to upgrade to a more complex but powerful program.

I've seen many people jump both feet first into video editing and fall out soon because it's so time consuming to create a video. I'm generally done in a few beers - er, hours and uploading.

Peace,
Greg

Good points Greg. Most editing programs come in a few different versions. The more advanced versions typically cost over $300 dollars. Most will find the $100 version more than fits their needs.

Video editing programs are more alike than they are different. It's rare that one program will have a feature that the others don't. An advantage of going with a popular editing program like Adobe and Vegas is it will be easy to find online support from not only the manufacturer, but from actual people on discussion boards like this.

If you have a Mac, the choice is obvious. iMovie or Final Cut Express.

what would you guys recommend as the obvious choice for windows users?

Well, being as it's been brought up by Greg a person could get started with Windows Movie Maker. It's probably already on your computer (part of the operating system). Move to a more sophisticated editor when and if you so choose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom