video editing program recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Dan, it's been a very long time. Nice to see you are doing UW video, and still involved with diving.

I have been using Vegas for a long time. I left with Version 9 and moved to Avid.

I just want to be clear about something. FCP, when used with ProRes, will be MORE than adequate for working with 1080p. Countless feature films have been edited that way. Vegas has offered a 64 bit version since Version 8. And while it works well, there are some things that are missing that you may want, because while the program may be 64 bit, not all the underlying parts are.

Premiere CS5 is a fine program. Vegas is nice too. And so is Avid. I've found Avid to be a LOT less troublesome than Vegas for big projects, but Vegas is much simpler.

FC Express, FCP, Avid, Premiere, and Vegas 10 will all do the job ultimately. They just all require slightly different workflows to do that job.

Hi Perrone,

Good to talk to you again!
I am going to stick with the PC....I will buy the new Vegas 10. It would be nice if the sale would include both 32 bit and 64 bit versions, as I am running the trial now, and it runs well..but I want to get a 64 bit system that can be more effective...And my Dell has been flaky since I got it 3 years ago.

Looks like I will be working on a new DIR video....aimed at all the things fundies will do for a recreational diver in real life....this is less about showing drills (we will do this a little) and more about showing the things divers should be able to do when they want to, in the situations where they occur. Top side will be shot with a Sony pd170 mini dv ( will have to be upsampled to 1080p) and u/w will be part Contour 1080p and part Canon 5D Mark 2 in Sea and Sea with 17 to 40 lens for most.

Hi Perrone,

Good to talk to you again!
I am going to stick with the PC....I will buy the new Vegas 10. It would be nice if the sale would include both 32 bit and 64 bit versions, as I am running the trial now, and it runs well..but I want to get a 64 bit system that can be more effective...And my Dell has been flaky since I got it 3 years ago.

You're in luck. The price does include both 32 and 64 bit versions.

Looks like I will be working on a new DIR video....aimed at all the things fundies will do for a recreational diver in real life....this is less about showing drills (we will do this a little) and more about showing the things divers should be able to do when they want to, in the situations where they occur. Top side will be shot with a Sony pd170 mini dv ( will have to be upsampled to 1080p) and u/w will be part Contour 1080p and part Canon 5D Mark 2 in Sea and Sea with 17 to 40 lens for most.

I'd really recommend finding an HD camera to shoot this with. The PD170 is really not going to upsample to 1080 well. Been there, done that.

A Sony PD150, Contour 1080 and a Canon 5dmkII. That will be an interesting mix of footage. What rez and framerate you planning on shooting the 5d and Contour ? Curious, why the PD150 for topside and not the Canon ?

FC Express is limited in the type of codecs that will work within it. I believe you will have the Animation and Sorenson codecs in FCE while FCP offers so much more, especially the Pro Res codecs. With the Contour or Go Pro you can download free, the MPEG Streamclip application and export your clips to your NLE in any codec of your choice. These exports, you would then import into your NLE.

Travis, you are very correct with your comments. Not sure what kind of performance speed increase you will see with the cards you list. I don't know why the working pros do not use PP but, in reality, they don't. Just finished reading a new issue of Broadcast Engineering Magazine where they were featuring some 50 different studios and what they were working with. Almost all the studios were using either AVID or Final Cut Pro.
Yes, I agree and have said so to many that the ball is now in Adobe's court as to it being 64bit but I would hardly call FC a dinosaur. I'm currently running a new 12 core Mac Pro with the NVIDIA FX4800 card and 20 gigs ram. I will soon be switching out to the 4000 card for testing and it is a joy to see all my cores working when I am running After Effects and a sorrow not to see them when I run FC, but at least I will be prepared for the upgrade to a 64bit FC if it should ever reach these shores. I have a feeling Apple doesn't care too much. Hope I'm wrong.
Steve

You're in luck. The price does include both 32 and 64 bit versions.

I'd really recommend finding an HD camera to shoot this with. The PD170 is really not going to upsample to 1080 well. Been there, done that.
If I don't like the interview footage I would be using the pd 170 with, then I will use the Canon 5d mark 2 instead. I will have to decide what mic to use with it.

The canon shoots awesome video if you are not in a dynamic environment...I have the contour for the crazy stuff. I may need one more underwater video camera, in between the 2....we will see :)

A Sony PD150, Contour 1080 and a Canon 5dmkII. That will be an interesting mix of footage. What rez and framerate you planning on shooting the 5d and Contour ? Curious, why the PD150 for topside and not the Canon ?
I'll know after some more testing...I think I can make the 1080p work for both, but if the action is too jerky with the contour in 1080p, I will have to shoot in 720 p with it...meaning a down-sample of the Canon....Worst case is borrowing another u/w video camera, but for now we will be starting a shot list, and will know soon.

Thanks for the interest in my project.

FC Express is limited in the type of codecs that will work within it. I believe you will have the Animation and Sorenson codecs in FCE while FCP offers so much more, especially the Pro Res codecs. With the Contour or Go Pro you can download free, the MPEG Streamclip application and export your clips to your NLE in any codec of your choice. These exports, you would then import into your NLE.

Travis, you are very correct with your comments. Not sure what kind of performance speed increase you will see with the cards you list. I don't know why the working pros do not use PP but, in reality, they don't. Just finished reading a new issue of Broadcast Engineering Magazine where they were featuring some 50 different studios and what they were working with. Almost all the studios were using either AVID or Final Cut Pro.
Yes, I agree and have said so to many that the ball is now in Adobe's court as to it being 64bit but I would hardly call FC a dinosaur. I'm currently running a new 12 core Mac Pro with the NVIDIA FX4800 card and 20 gigs ram. I will soon be switching out to the 4000 card for testing and it is a joy to see all my cores working when I am running After Effects and a sorrow not to see them when I run FC, but at least I will be prepared for the upgrade to a 64bit FC if it should ever reach these shores. I have a feeling Apple doesn't care too much. Hope I'm wrong.
Steve

Steve I might have come off wrong. I don't really think FCP is a dinosaur but is in a real need of an update (64b!). Adobe has stepped up with CS5 and I think we will see a small shift in the professional community towards it. At least I hope they do as the competition = more product updates and better tools for all of us.

If I don't like the interview footage I would be using the pd 170 with, then I will use the Canon 5d mark 2 instead. I will have to decide what mic to use with it.

The canon shoots awesome video if you are not in a dynamic environment...I have the contour for the crazy stuff. I may need one more underwater video camera, in between the 2....we will see :)

Why not just skip the pd170 and use the 5D? Even in a dynamic environment it will be fine just make sure you are choosing the right lens for the situation. I have shot with the 5D for about 2 years now and worked with about every audio setup you can have with it. Let me know if I can be of any assistance on setup suggestions.

Travis,
Completely agree with you. Apple needs to put a lot more effort into its application teams. Interesting that each team is seperate from other teams within the entire suite.
Aside from needing to go 64bit, instead of bells and whistles or another filter or two, FC would benefit from having a scrolling timeline, a structure that would allow it to remember which project was connected to which hard drive, a better media manager, a 'did I use this clip' function, buying the license for Blu Ray and thus support for Blu Ray production, particle emitters in Motion that go beyond butterflys and crawling ants and several more I can think of if I tried real hard.
At the same time, Apple's app and hardware support is excellent while Adobe's is horrendous and still stuck in the Philippines and India. Last Jan. Adobe flew me and other 'influencers' up to their headquarters in San Jose for quick look seminars and looks at their soon to be released CS5. There must have been 100 of us there and most all raised the question of support so they are well aware of difficiences in that area. Last week my publisher was sent the new Adobe Photoshop Elements for Mac and he found several bugs. He went through countless emails and calls to their support only to be passed from one person to another. Finally, they admitted that he had found several confirmed bugs they hadn't even known were there. Support, especially for the newbee is critical and I mention it in most of my articles as to being there or not. For now, that is IMHO Adobe's biggest failing.
I'll be working on a new T.V. show soon and it took some effort to convince the producers to go FC. Support was my big argument,(plus that even though I have it, I have never worked in Premier Pro) and they agreed to go the Apple route.
Went to your website, looks as if you have a very qualified crew there. Would love to join for a couple of those. Congrats
Steve

What video camera would you recommend as an excellent choice for good colors, good low light shooting, good optics, and optimal 1920 by 1080p recording.....All the $1000 to $2000 cameras I have seen so far do some things well, but most fail in low light, and cameras like the canon s21 have poor audio.
I would look at the successor to the Sony HDR FX1 but I believe Sony is still not doing full HD (with 1400 instead of 1920)..so I do not want to go that route.
Suggestions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom