• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Video from a Training Dive with John Chatterton

Discussion in 'Technical Diving Specialties' started by Zack-Bloom, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Just curious, what are TDI’s standards for video/photos during training? I did my recreational classes with SDI instructors who were perhaps overly concerned with liability and said standards prohibited it. Not sure if that is actually true.

2. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    and darnit, I was hoping to watch it this weekend. Boo!

Dark Wolf likes this.
  3. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

Didn’t get the chance to see it myself.

4. ChuckP

ChuckP Manta Ray

I do believe the OP stated earlier or said it in his video, they were already AN/Deco certed before this class.

I have personally taken the three classes together, seen part of an ITT class (look at that, buoyancy skills), taken tri mix and seen tri mix 2.

From his requirements and course description, it appears that was a private class.

5. rddvet

rddvet DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Come on Chuck, we get it. We all totally understand that decreasing workload will decrease CO2. I was told by an instructor who I respect if you're working hard and getting winded, slow down and if you need to hold onto a rock (in the cave) to slow it down do so. I would have no problem if I was concerned about a CO2 hit. We've brought up helium because that is alot of depth to not be on helium, and simply to address it would help with CO2. Nobody ever said you were wrong. In this video these students weren't kneeling because they were working too hard and trying to be safer. I wasn't there, but there's no evidence of it in the video. And the current on the wreck doesn't look too bad.
    You don't seem to get that the lack of skills shown in the video have been shown in several other videos in relation to Chatterton, so it's a little concerning. If it was just this one video, I probably wouldn't have said anything. I really don't care if Chatterton continues to teach a class where he allows crappy skills. That's on him and his students. I just find justifying all of the bad stuff we've seen with responses like "he's a legend and he's been fine for years" ridiculous. I've yet to see one good argument from you guys in the "it's all good" fanbase.

rjack321, rongoodman and cerich like this.
  6. cerich

cerich ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    None of what you said changes anything.

Even if they were AN/Deco certified prior to the class, not relevant.

7. rddvet

rddvet DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Wow. Oldschoolto doesn't have a very good argument and obviously doesn't like to hear opinions other than his own. I was surprised when this was in my inbox unsolicited:

Go **** yourself... Can't handle the truth..

Jim......

It just shows his ignorance and inability to handle other ideas. But still mods, maybe you can let this guy know either learn to debate civilly or go somewhere else. I'm not offended, but would prefer not to get idiocy like this in my inbox.

rjack321 and cerich like this.
  8. cerich

cerich ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    That is called a "trust me" dive. Would have sucked if instructor had issues eh?

9. Basking Ridge Diver

Basking Ridge Diver Solo Diver

You know I never noticed before - but you can ignore everyone but a Staff Member... Is that right?

Interesting... Hmmmnnnn....

Food for thought...

10. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I think that's for practicality reasons where they want all to be able to read moderators posts when moderators have to moderate (can I use that word any more times in one sentence?). Just a guess.