Video from a Training Dive with John Chatterton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it was just this one video, I probably wouldn't have said anything. I really don't care if Chatterton continues to teach a class where he allows crappy skills. That's on him and his students. I just find justifying all of the bad stuff we've seen with responses like "he's a legend and he's been fine for years" ridiculous. I've yet to see one good argument from you guys in the "it's all good" fanbase.

You are ignoring the arguments given to you. With respect to kneeling, several posters, including myself, gave a very simple argument - students don't sign up for this class to either demonstrate their buoyancy and trim skills, or perfect their buoyancy and trim skills. In the same vein, the instructor doesn't want to lose valuable bottom time on perfecting buoyancy skills of the least skilled student at everyone else's expense. Why is it so difficult to understand, or at least acknowledge?

You want to hold your students to a "higher standard", which you stated 50 times - by all means do it. It may mean, among other things, that you may need 12 days to work through the same curriculum that John works through in 3 (or 4). It may be acceptable to you, and your students, but he and his students run on a different schedule, with different goals and objectives. Please stop saying that they are demonstrating "poor skills", or "bad stuff", it's just not true. They may not be demonstrating perfect neutral buoyancy and horizontal trim at that very moment, but that doesn't mean they are demonstrating poor skills or are not held to a high enough standard.

just so you know chris DID THE RIGHT THING but it was not magnanimous as a professional if he OR ANYONE in leadership sees an unsafe or against standards you have to report it or you are in breech (that includes every one in leadership that saw the ALLEGED violations on tape had to ) , the fact he said it on an open forum kudos to him..... I have more respect for him than I did before .....and for the record I have reported other instructors doing the same thing , and if the said agency had done something there would not have been a fatality later on .........................

It just shows his ignorance and inability to handle other ideas. But still mods, maybe you can let this guy know either learn to debate civilly or go somewhere else.

Sounds a little hypocritical from someone who in his 2nd response to a stranger began putting words in opponent's mouth and calling it "BS" in the same post. Wanna link? Maybe mods can let you know to debate civilly.

Yeah, on 92 now hoping to hit 100 by november. Not ashamed of it either, given the environment I normally dive in. Why?
Perhaps you should ease off on the keyboard and watch and learn and build your experience level by few hundred more real dives before you let your fingers do the attacking???

That is called a "trust me" dive. Would have sucked if instructor had issues eh?

Aren’t all instructional dives trust me dives? Even in an overhead environment? What if you had an issue 1000’ in a hole with two or four students??

Doesn’t matter that there were two instructors on that dive either - standards from what I see are four divers per instructor and there were four students.

You boldly state there were standards violated in your opinion, while you can publicly denounce an instructor, why not publicly state the standards that were violated? I’d honestly like to know.

Perhaps you should ease off on the keyboard and watch and learn and build your experience level by few hundred more real dives before you let your fingers do the attacking???

As far as I can tell I posted less than 10% of what you posted, and judging by this thread the value of that is not much. So perhaps you are the one that should "ease off"?

Come on Chuck, we get it. We all totally understand that decreasing workload will decrease CO2. I was told by an instructor who I respect if you're working hard and getting winded, slow down and if you need to hold onto a rock (in the cave) to slow it down do so. I would have no problem if I was concerned about a CO2 hit. We've brought up helium because that is alot of depth to not be on helium, and simply to address it would help with CO2. Nobody ever said you were wrong. In this video these students weren't kneeling because they were working too hard and trying to be safer. I wasn't there, but there's no evidence of it in the video. And the current on the wreck doesn't look too bad.
You don't seem to get that the lack of skills shown in the video have been shown in several other videos in relation to Chatterton, so it's a little concerning. If it was just this one video, I probably wouldn't have said anything. I really don't care if Chatterton continues to teach a class where he allows crappy skills. That's on him and his students. I just find justifying all of the bad stuff we've seen with responses like "he's a legend and he's been fine for years" ridiculous. I've yet to see one good argument from you guys in the "it's all good" fanbase.

You don’t seem to get the “it doesn’t matter” portion that others see. Kneeling at anytime falls outside GUE/DIR holy grail, I get it.

I’m just surprised you admitted you’d hold onto a rock if you were winded - don’t come down here and do that though - you should take the drift diving specialty and learn how to dive in currents.

To each his own.

Aren’t all instructional dives trust me dives? Even in an overhead environment? What if you had an issue 1000’ in a hole with two or four students??

Doesn’t matter that there were two instructors on that dive either - standards from what I see are four divers per instructor and there were four students.

You boldly state there were standards violated in your opinion, while you can publicly denounce an instructor, why not publicly state the standards that were violated? I’d honestly like to know.
the most blatant was depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom