Video from a Training Dive with John Chatterton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If anything, JC's methods reflect the "golden years" of Atlantic wreck diving, in the early 90s. At that time, technical training was much less organized than it is today, with more informal mentoring and with less concern about form, trim and the agency-driven certification hierarchy that we now have.
Times change. . . . Once they’re out of the class if they want to kneel, then it’s on them.

Better the other way around: Come to his course trained the way wreck divers are today, by-the-book, no kneeling, non-silting trim/propulsion nailed down cold, etc., and THEN learn from the master some techniques that may be rooted in the '90s but could still be useful today to add to your quiver.

I'm just mildly curious. How good was your trim, buoyancy, finning etc., when you first started to dive in wrecks? Think way back.

I'm just mildly curious. How good was your trim, buoyancy, finning etc., when you first started to dive in wrecks? Think way back.
I think if they think way back, the world has moved on since then.

I think if they think way back, the world has moved on since then.

And yet, they aren't dead. They're still alive to disparage others.

Reactions: Kha

LOL. You people keep insinuating that we are demanding 100% perfect trim--we aren't asking for anything close to that, nor do we expect it. My OW was taught on my knees, but from AOW onwards I was taught by every instructor that I better have one hell of an emergency (or heart attack) to go on my knees.

LOL. You people keep insinuating that we are demanding 100% perfect trim--we aren't asking for anything close to that, nor do we expect it. My OW was taught on my knees, but from AOW onwards I was taught by every instructor that I better have one hell of an emergency (or heart attack) to go on my knees.

Who did you take your training from after AOW?

And how were you doing with your trim and finning and all that when you first started diving in wrecks?

Is it staying off your knees that has kept you alive to discourage others?

I'm not sure who you're addressing--or just people in this thread in general--but I don't dive in wrecks. For one thing, I'm not confident my fundamental skills--trim, buoyancy, movement/control, situational awareness, stress management, etc.--are as good as I would want them to be before taking the training (regardless of with what instructor). Heck, after four or so years of diligently working on tech-level skills, I'm still not sure I'm good enough to even carry a camera on a challenging dive. But that's another thread.

Better the other way around: Come to his course trained the way wreck divers are today, by-the-book, no kneeling, non-silting trim/propulsion nailed down cold, etc., and THEN learn from the master some techniques that may be rooted in the '90s but could still be useful today to add to your quiver.
I think that plan has exceptional merit. I've never said Chatterton didn't have something to offer. A student that's already well squared away and will choose to not kneel to do skills such as bottle drops would likely get a lot out of it.

I don't dive wrecks. When I learned to cave dive I had 500+ hours as a rec diver, but only learned trim and buoyancy the correct way from a mentor prior to ITT 6 months prior. So I only had 100 or less dives in good trim. I was by no means perfect, but that's why cavern and cave 1 required ow assessment of my skills including buoyancy and trim. My kicks weren't perfect in any of the classes. I came to ITT and cavern with zero back kick. I had decent trim/buoyancy, but when task loaded it got crappy. That doesn't mean kneeling or touching stuff. Just means I wouldn't hold depth well. After ITT and cavern my wife and I took 8 months of solely diving caverns to perfect skills. We did cave 1 and stayed at that level for 15 months before doing cave 2. I am a strong proponent of strong skills in these classes, and wouldn't move forward until I felt strong. Every single class I've taken and every dive I've done I've maintained a strong personal standard. That doesn't mean I don't suck from time to time. In my head, I do often, but I try to learn from it. The OP seems to have that same mentality, and I respect it.

I find it funny that everyone is saying that the only issue is trim and that is what some of us are being unreasonable about. It either shows poor reading comprehension or is just part of the "that is what cave divers do, so that must be what they are complaining all about and this isn't cave diving" response that doesn't actually address what is indeed the current best practices in wreck diving.

Well team (@rjack321, @cerich, @wetb4igetinthewater, @doctormike, @CptTightPants21m, @rddvet, @ChuckPdo you guys think you have had any influence at all on the way Chatterton will teach going forward, I suspect not.

The fact that I was drilling for standards questions doesn't mean I have an interest at all in changing how JC teaches.

But I would like you to sit down before you read what I'm about to say.

I'm actually interested in a workshop with JC on "extreme solo wreck penetration" as I believe that is his strength. I'd rather take advanced wreck from someone else who doesn't denigrate the standards, who won't let me take the course unless I have the skills needed, who won't certify me unless I can execute all the skills at a solid level and not be a hazard to myself. I don't think anyone can deny that JC has a lot of useful and important things to teach for wreck penetration. I just think that it belongs in a post advanced wreck course/workshop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom