Video from Canon DSLRs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Other than once owning a Canon 7D, I am not well versed on the video capabilities of many Canon Cameras. Would the video shot with a 7D be better or the same as one shot with a T3 or T4 Rebel? If so, why and what are the deciding factors that make the video acquisition superior or not.

A T3i and T4i are quite different, since the imaging processor is newer and different on the T4i. Also the T3 does not do full 1080 HD, it's only capable of 720p. (This is not a bad thing either) I prefer to shoot 720 @ 60fps than 1080 @ 30 fps underwater.

All that aside, the 7D's main advantages are really for photographers not video. The 7D has two imaging processors compared to only one on any of the Rebel units. This gives the 7D faster photo performance but does not give better video performance.

Finally, while the T4i or T5i has only one imaging processor it has better color performance than the older imaging processors of the 7D, so for the price I'd rather buy a T5i and use the savings to invest in better lighting and lenses which would absolutely make more of a difference for video than the two processors of a 7D.

Here's a raw video shot on my first dive with a T4i. It's not white balanced and I'm playing with the lighting but you can get the idea of the quality:
[video=youtube;9u-nM0OMT-c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u-nM0OMT-c[/video]

I hope this helps you!

A T3i and T4i are quite different, since the imaging processor is newer and different on the T4i. Also the T3 does not do full 1080 HD, it's only capable of 720p. ......

This is not correct. I have a T2i, the predecessor to the T3i. It shoots full 1080. I also have a 7d. The video quality is the same.

This is not correct. I have a T2i, the predecessor to the T3i. It shoots full 1080. I also have a 7d. The video quality is the same.

I stand corrected... The T3i does shoot 1080. Even better! You should be able to find a T3 for a lot less than a T4i or T5i.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom