Video Light Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scotto007

Registered
Reaction score
I am wondering if I had a DX1200 and wanted lighting to use for both stills and video, could I use a light like this:
FF-3x5W AFO

and mount it on some kind of arm (notice the ball joint on the yellow model)

Any downsides?

Personally I wouldn't use that light as a video light. It is a bit too narrow as is.

The non AFO version of that light can accept this diffuser:
Bossk BigBlue 60 Deg Diffuser for FF 3X5 Series Lights (non AFO only) [bos.3x5.diffuser] - $17.99 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

and here is a comparison of the beam angles:
bos3x5diffuser_3.jpg

The 3x5 with a diffuser should be wide enough for video illumination with normal lenses. Even that will be a bit narrow if you add a wa lens, and you should look at something wider like a FIX LED1000DX.

Scott,
I am buying the same camera this week. That light, the FIXLED1000 is the one the folks at Backscatter in Monterey, CA recommended to me, because I want to do as much video as stills. It's almost $600.00, but it seems like it's the best one for this purpose that I've seen so far.
Good luck
- Mark

Back
Top Bottom