Video of Browning Pass Port Hardy BC trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeMeagher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Went to Browning Pass in early August with some friends and had a great time. Stayed at John's Hide-A-Way and we dove Browning wall, 7-Tree wall, Rock of Life, the Themis wreck and a few other spots. The vis wasn't the greatest but we still had a fun time. Can't wait to get back when the water is a bit clearer. Here's a video recap. Enjoy.. Mike

[youtubehq]FQpg3aJIqCk[/youtubehq]

(fyi, right click over the video and there is an option to watch direct on YT..once there you can change it to HD)

Wicked video! Nudi's are great!

What kind of setup are you rocking?

Last edited:
Hi Robin and Bighiller, thanks for the kind words.
I shoot with a Sony HC7 (tape based HDV) in a Gates housing, fathom SP25 port for wide angle, or flat port with closup diopter for the macro work. Use LED lights too.

Very nice. What did you edit with?

I see same green Sony video problem as I have with the newer HDD 1080i version camera I have. With lights or direct sunlight, it takes beautiful color video but without it, green, green, green. Are you using AWB or a specific WB setting?

BTW, I could select 720p in the viewer here.

I didnt realize that you could select the resolution in the embedded video.. until now.Thanks ShastaMan for the tip.

Yea, I think the single chip sony cams are a bit oversaturated and thus really noticeable in the greens.. guess the only way to get around that is to get a 3 chip camera.. but my wife would kill me if I did that right now. lol.

My WB settings vary depending where I'm diving. In Port Hardy, and other green waters for wide angle I often set it to "outdoor" most of the time and just left it at that, filled with the video lights to restore colors but my lights are not very powerful so only effective closer in. I personally dont mind the green look, because that is what it looked like.. very green when we were there. I did a little fine tuning in post. Sometimes I'd also set WB to a white slate during the dive, but usually when shooting the closer up macro stuff. I use a DSC Splash slate. Check it out on google. Probably the one thing that I deal the most with when shooting vids is getting the WB set just right. But I feel that the better one can capture it initially.. then theres very little to tweak in post production.

I edit and encode with Sony Vegas Pro..using ver. 8.0c I dont encode full 1080 for youtube postings..just 720... not worth it in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom