Video - School Of Goliath Groupers On Deeper Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
j5.sized.jpg

... without influence of SCUBA exhaust although there is that dive scooter noise. The goliaths seem to move off when SCUBA divers come up and when I would get too close. Went scooter free diving on a deeper wreck, the Castor in 110 ft. off Boynton Beach last weekend. Shot video during the free dives using two cameras. Caught some grouper behavior, some aggression, flight behavior as I moved too close (usually within 3 to 5 ft.). I've scootered within 3 ft. of a goliath in a cave and it remained stationary throughout. Wasn't sure how close too close was prior to the dive. Think it might be 6 to 10 ft. off at low rev's in this case involving a group of an wreck. The wide angle lens makes things look smaller and further away than they actually are.

The video is at:
Complete Video - Wreck of the Castor, Goliath Grouper Central - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

Really cool vid. I heard one barking at me in WPB long before I was close enough to see him. 5-6 ft. When you see an eight footer, you really realize what the word Ocean means compared to lakes.

Oh that video brought back some memories. I am always out of Jupiter or Stuart diving and we call them the underwater voltzwagon. I have seen some big ones in my life, thats for sure, and when they snap at you its loud. But I love trying to get close to the ones on some of the deep wrecks down in the keys. They are great looking fish, just starting to get to many around palm beach tho, need to open a mini season on them there or something. Good video!

Had my first Goliath Grouper experience on the Caster this New Years diving with Kevin. When I went down into the hold and the first Grouper came out I exclaimed. "Bloody Hell!!!" Then an even bigger one appeared. What amazing critters. We only had about three to play with, nothing like the numbers on your video.

good video . w/out a doubt ,they are there

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom