video software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

domino22

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi what software is easy to use and learn and does a good job? I have heard different thoughts on this and wonder what you folks think.

domino22:
Hi what software is easy to use and learn and does a good job? I have heard different thoughts on this and wonder what you folks think.
I'm using Pinnacle Studio 9 running on a Sony VAIO P4 under Windows XP. Depending on your hardware configuration, this might/might not work for you. It took me one nite after installing it to produce a video complete with linked sound, titles and transitions between scenes. It took me about a week more to produce a video that actually looked halfway decent....I'm now involved in a project to distill 6-8 hrs. of u/w footage into something someone else might want to watch - hopefully by the 1st of the year.

The biggest problem so far was that it crashed repeatedly at first. Pinnacle recently offered a 9.1 upgrade, after installing it that all stopped. It does use a terrific amount of system resources, I've learned to turn everything else off before running it and even after exiting the program, I have to reboot my computer before it acts normal again.

I'm also starting to experiment with an older version of Adobe Premiere that was pre-installed on my computer when I bought it. Although the learning curve is steeper, I feel that I'll outgrow Studio 9 eventually, something I don't think will ever happen, for my needs anyway, with Premiere. Adobe also recently released Premiere Elements 3.0, I've seen it described as Premiere simplified meaning that they put an easy to use interface on top of Premiere, the idea being that you work with the simple interface until you're comfortable with the program, yet a lot of the more advanced features are still available. For the price($100 or less), it's something I'm probably going to get although I expect to eventually move up to Premiere Pro.

I'm also intrigued by Sony's Vegas product which I just recently saw. Mostly because I'm wondering if it will work better with my Sony hardware.

Steve

I don't know if will run better on a sony machine; but it's great on my homebuilt Intel 3.4 GB (+ a 10% OC).

domino22:

Have you seen this

http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3

It's not at all what you'd call "light weight" but it really will do cinema quality work and you can't beat the price - Free.

The fact that it will edit "OpenEXR" says something about it: what Cinelerra tries to be. See http://www.openexr.net/

Don't be put off by the talk of a "render farm" you don't need a rack of PCs to do simple edits in DVD or DV formats. The first demo video on the above site is interresting in that it was made from a single high resolution still image. But if you don't know you way around computers this is not for you. Buy a Mac instead. Cinelerra required some effort and set up timebefore you can put it to use. but offeres pretty much unlimited power in return

Using Ulead Video Studion 6 SE. It came with my Firewire card and is fine for the level I'm currently working at. I also have Pinnacle Studio 8 that came with my DVD writer, but I much prefer the Ulead product.

I use Pinnacle and Adobe Premiere. Pinnacle is easy to use and is great for making a "rough cut", Premiere has a lot of functions for playing with the video.

Journeyed has student prices on software. I don't know about the most recent edition of Adobe Premiere but the earlier ones, educational versions worked fine, unlike Macomedia products that mark the ouput educational version.

Thanks for all the info. I am hoping that I can chose a software program to use that I can also take a class that my local communtity college will offfer for that software.

iMovie, iDVD ... fortunately, you have to have a Macintosh to run these apps...
But they're hard to beat for ease of use and results as good as your skill permits (I wanted to say professional results, but my videography skills prevent me from obtaining such results.)

I have used Pinnacle products since I got into NLE. Played with Premiere fro a while but didn't like that I have to use another software package to go to analog for VHS tapes or burn a DVD.

At the begining of the year I wen from Studio 8 to Liquid Edition Pro 5.5. REally like it, a good learning curve, but it gave me the multiple video tracks, more effects and analog/DVD output.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom