video vs. photo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Video is more effective, photos are easier. Photo is also a LOT cheaper to get into, from an equipment standpoint, and requires less bulky gear. There's also a lot less post-production involved in photos.

If you're set up for both, I'd say try both and see which YOU enjoy more.

CompuDude:
Video is more effective, photos are easier. Photo is also a LOT cheaper to get into, from an equipment standpoint, and requires less bulky gear. There's also a lot less post-production involved in photos.

If you're set up for both, I'd say try both and see which YOU enjoy more.

I don't know that I agree with this. A decent photo editor (Photoshop) and something like Premier both take a solid computer to run well. Housing prices are similar, and entry level DV videocams are cheaper than something like a digital rebel. Compare the pricing of a basic 3 CCD vid cam, and something like a 20D. Pretty darn close. The video camera has fewer contols to deal with, and doesn't use multiple lenses.

I've seen full video setups for sale here, and other places for $500. I can't even get a basic DSLR for that.

Personally, depends on what your budget is too, I love my video and photo setup, using a Xacti VPC-C5 (the C6 I gather is better in low light conditions, but unfortunately I got it before that came out). With prices as they are now, camera and housing will cost you less than $1000, the housing is nice and small (no carrying lead bricks in your luggage) and overall the camera works really well.

It's NOT a pro-sumer camera, it's an okay digital video camera, and an okay digital still camera. For the casual diver who wants to take photo or video it's GREAT!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom