Videographers beware of Coiba Island, Panama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not write off a location based on one diver experience with one outfit. I just came back from Panama 2 weeks ago and visited 4 different shops within the city. All shops were well stocked and the people knowledgeable. One shop catered to technical divers and their staff was used as safety divers for Survivor.

A lot of the sites are very remote and accommodations are rustic for lack of a better word.

Coiba Island used to be a penal colony and closed down 4 years ago. Unesco declared Coiba National Park (38 Islands and over 430 thousand acres) a "World Heritage Site" in July 2005 due to its biodiversity. Very much like Cocos Island and the other islands in the region. They are part of the same underwater mountain chain. Access to the Island is restricted and it's patrolled by armed guards because it's subject to poaching.

Santa Catalina is usually where divers depart and it's about 1.5 hours away from Coiba and the nearest ATM from Catalina is about another hour away that's how remote this site is.

Run off from the rivers can usually ruin visibility during rainy season (Right now)
Hannibal Bank (Well known for billfish and yellowfin tuna fishing) is a stone throw to the east of Coiba.

I've never heard of a fee to shoot on the island, I don't write this to say this didn't happen. It's just not policy. ANAM which is the agency in charge of the National Parks has nothing on fees or permits regarding video or photography. You do, however, need a permit to visit and tour operators usually take care of this.

I'm not trying to dismiss what happened to the op, but to go solely on his report would be foolish.

If you want more info on Panama just PM me.

Wys

Thank you Wys for your excellent report.

It is important to understand that Santa Catalilna and Coiba is a very undevelopped location and lack a lot of things what are normal for most of our visitors (no ATM, no stable working communication systems, electricity outs,...) So it might be the right choice for some divers to decide not to come here. It offers of course as benefit excellent and very virgin diving and you will still not encounter other divers at the same dive site.

I am of course following this thread but never wanted to comment it, as I think it is pretty useless to defend our operation. Any reader can come to his/her own conclusions reading other reports in this thread or other threads about diving Coiba and Santa Catalina with us at ScubaBoard or other web sites, as well as looking at pictures done by another diver joining the same trip November 2007 and posted at //flickr.com/photos/laszlo-photo/page4/ and following pages

It is true though and important to point out that the park ranges (what are not armed with machine guns) did ban one very professional looking video camera at this trip. There is no law asking for fees and permits for private video filming, but of course for commercial productions. Unfortunately the ranger in charge decided that the camera could possibly be used comercially (it could) and did not allow to use it, what understandably was not appreciated by the divers.

We never had problems with "normal looking" film or still photo equipment. To avoid similar problems in the future we have posted this warning about possible problems at our website.

That sounds like a very reasonable explanation....

Herbie, (I'm assuming you're Herbie) it still doesn't explain why when you were 'unavailable' to talk on the phone about the matter, you didn't at least follow up with a reply to his e-mail. I HATE poor customer service and I would avoid a place solely on that alone, the other stuff just sealed it.

Fuzz

Wow that does suck. Any idea how they act to P&S still cameras? Do they charge for each picture? What if the P&S camera has movie capabilities? Just curious.

My dad and I took two hot air balloons down there in 1985 to fly the isthmus (ocean to ocean.)

The communication problems are not only found in scuba. Our fuel analyses showed 85% propane gas was available when the actual fuel was 85% butane, available locations for were overstated, etc.

Our balloons were held up in customs until bribes were paid to the tune of $400 (equivalent to about $800 today.) We were assigned two "body guards" who watched us like hawks. The whole trip was surreal - nothing was as it seemed...

Anyway, we were finally able to get off one flight (we'd planned to fly at least 8) and my dad went back six months later bringing in his own fuel and did successfully make the crossing - before Branson and Fossett no less. He landed in a Panamanian military bases and was held at gunpoint until the US ambassador (who arranged the trips) could get him out.

I've not been back, but it sounds like nothing has changed.

Mexico and Central America are just beautiful, the diving is wonderful, and the sites on land are amazing. However, corruption is rampant and many places are downright dangerous. These countries lose tourist dollars and other investment because of these issues.

Many dive shop owners will tell you whatever you want to hear to get you there… then you find out the truth after you arrive. I have had better luck with ones suggested by folks on the ScubaBoard, but not always.

It is scary, too that the "safe" places are behind security almost everywhere in Central America, Mexico and many places in the Caribbean. Fences and inexperienced people wielding guns are supposed to protect tourists. What a shame!

Attachments

• at-ambassadors-home.jpg
    at-ambassadors-home.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 138
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom