Viekira medicine for Hep c

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lermontov

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Im taking a course of medication for Hep C its called the Viekira pack - containing paritaprevir/ritonavir
and dasabuvir tablets
also taken with the above is Ribavarin

any medical experts know if theres an issues fro diving associated with these

Dyspnea (difficulty breathing) and rash are listed as side effects. If you're experiencing dsypnea I would definitely not dive. The rash could be confused with minor DCS depending on the manifestation. As long as you're not having any side effects on the surface, it is probably safe, but start low and go slow. There could be unpredictable side effects with pressure and increased oxygen concentrations. There is no hard data on diving on these medications.

Best regards,
DDM

thanks for that

Dyspnea (difficulty breathing) and rash are listed as side effects. If you're experiencing dsypnea I would definitely not dive. The rash could be confused with minor DCS depending on the manifestation. As long as you're not having any side effects on the surface, it is probably safe, but start low and go slow. There could be unpredictable side effects with pressure and increased oxygen concentrations. There is no hard data on diving on these medications.

Best regards,
DDM
I have now finished my course and have not had any issues to speak of - my latest blood test has indicated a low Haemoglobin count which as i understandd it not unusual for viral type medications - are the any issues for long decompression dives with diffusion of o2 as my understanding is that oxygen is bound to the haemoglobin component

I'd be more concerned about exercise tolerance on the surface than hypoxemia at depth. How low is low?

Best regards,
DDM

I'd be more concerned about exercise tolerance on the surface than hypoxemia at depth. How low is low?

Best regards,
DDM
count is 118 but no real issues with general exercise

Ok, not terribly low but could still impact your exercise tolerance. Has your physician cleared you for full physical activity?

Best regards,
DDM

Ok, not terribly low but could still impact your exercise tolerance. Has your physician cleared you for full physical activity?

Best regards,
DDM
we haven't discussed but may ring him to check - thanks for your help

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom