Vietnam diving recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainbow divers out of Nha Trang are worth going out with for the day if you're there. The diving isn't great, though it's alright and I did see my first ever ghost pipefish there

Is it worth diving in Ha Long Bay while being on a boat cruise?
certainly not ! o_O
There are two spots where to dive from continental VN (ie. excluding the islands) which are Nha Trang and Hoi An.
Best reco I can do is skip diving or if really needed then stop one day at Nha Trang if it's outside Nov-Apr rainy season.

Skip diving. It's all bad. Enjoy motorbiking and the food and coffee in vn, dont worry about diving.

As I wrote in another thread just weeks ago:

I live in Vietnam for more than 5 years and dove in different places. Phu Quoc is by far one the worst place I have ever dove.
The visibility is bad due to the Mekong Delta.
The depth is ridiculous, 4m to 15/20m max, with an average around 7m.
There is very little fish activity and diving gets boring very quickly...
If you want somewhere with decent diving, just head to Nha Trang instead. The diving is not great but still much better than Phu Quoc.
I recommend Nha Trang Sailing Club Divers. Great service and price.

It is also possible to dive close to Da Nang/Hoi An (Cham islands) but from what I heard, it doesn't really worth the trip either.

Finally, there is another spot north of Nha Trang called whale island which is okay too. But again, don't expect to be impressed like when you go to Indonesia/Philippines.

Can you even dive Halong Bay? When I was there, on a boat tour, it was completely green and opaque from above.

If you are going to be going through Hoi An and you should- it is a wonderful little city and you feel like getting out for a day of diving, then I would certainly encourage you to do that. There are a few operators that take you out to the Cham Islands for a 2 tank dive and a very nice lunch on one of the island beaches. I did a 10 day trip to Vietnam in 2012. Started in Hanoi, went to Halong Bay on an overnight houseboat, did some kayaking and snorkeling and then back to Hanoi and then down the coast stopping in Da Nang, Hue, Hoi An and finishing up in Saigon. I had 2 days in Hoi An and went out diving in the Cham Islands both days and very much enjoyed myself. Vietnam is not a "dive destination" - but if you are already there and vacationing and want to allocate 1 day or part of a day to diving, then why not? FYI: all of my dives in the Cham Islands were drift dives. Nice and leisurely with the boat following and picking you and the other divers and DM up when you surface. I was there in early July. Water temps were quite warm, visibility was probably 50 feet. I went out diving with: Hoi An Diving Center, Five Star PADI Scuba Dive Center - Hoi An Diving Center, Five Star PADI Scuba Dive Center

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom