Vietnam Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkbait98

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everybody, I have come to tap all your knowledge :D . I am thinking about going diving in Vietnam and I was wondering if anybody here has any good info regarding WHEN to go and WHERE to dive / stay.

I appreciate any info you could provide me.

Thanx in advance,

Sharkbait:)

Rainbow Divers in Nha Trang (and a few other branches in resorts up the coast) are absolutely great. One of the most professional outfits that I have ever dived with.

Rainbow Divers in Nha Trang (and a few other branches in resorts up the coast) are absolutely great. One of the most professional outfits that I have ever dived with.

Yeah, what Andy said. Mind you, I used to work there... :D

Best time of year for central VN is April-September, as you'll get flatter seas, warmer water and better viz. Down in the far south (Phu Quoc) conditions are better November-April.

If you're going to Nha Trang, I'd also try to get up to Whale Island for a few days. Rainbow have an operation there, and it's a really nice, remote resort with some really nice diving. Hoi An, further north again towards Da Nang, is a lovely untouched town and there's some decent diving out at the Cu Lao Cham islands. Don't know what it's like now, but when I was there (four years or so ago) we used to see Devil rays, had the occasional Marlin encounter, the odd shark... And I've heard tales of an occasional Whale Shark since I left! Huge numbers of critters, too.

Hell, I'm almost tempted to come with you!!

Grae

Yeah...on my trip to Nha Trang there were lots of great macro life.... I severly regretted not taking the housing for my camera. Many species of scorpionfish, frogfish, lionfish shrimp etc Nothing big to see though.

And having lived and worked in Thailand/Malaysia...the water there was freezing in October!

Ah, yes, did I forget to mention that outside the season when it's good, the water's freezing and the viz can be shocking...? :D

Looking back at my previous post, I wasn't clear enough about the chances of seeing bigger stuff - I was there for over two years and did indeed see all sorts of stuff every now and then, but you do need to love nudibranchs and small critters if you're going to enjoy VN diving!

Grae

I went to nha trang in mid december 2007 (was still rainning a bit from time to time), viz was bad and water temperature ok, but don't expect anything special to see under water, at least in the spots where I dived, really there was nothing special. You can dive in nha trang yes, but don't expect big surprises.
Concerning Rainbow Divers, I don't remember hearing positive feeds about them according my diving centre. Few dive centre were not that good of what I've heard, but that's what I heard back in dec 2007.

So, what are we learning from you? A part that you don't rememeber a lot...?!?!?!

Rainbow Divers is the only PADI 5 star, CDC, Nat Geo centre in town...... That says enough...

Back
Top Bottom