Vietnam Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seriously, 500 - 1000 - 5000 or even 10000 dives, what's the difference ? It's the diving guide's experience in question that makes the whole difference, not it's amount of dives.
I repeat what I say, when I went in nha trang in mid december 2007, the weather was part cloudy part sunny, in fact it was the end of the low season, so that's the reason the water was a bit chilly, not cold, but warm enough to dive, a 3mm was really the minimum to have on then, and the viz was less than good in some sites I dove. I guess that the viz gets much better in high season, well, it's the same thing everywhere in east Asia when the low season ends, poor viz then gets better with the time.
In conclusion as a personal opinion, comparing to all the places I've been diving in east-asia (haven't done Indonesia and philippines yet), nha-trang diving simply didn't do it for me, but did have a very nice beach that's for sure.

Voilà !!

Agreed. My local dive shops teach only the theory for around $150.
$200 for the course and some dives in Vietnam seems like a good deal to me ;]

You really have not compared much around Orlando either, have you? I've seen the theory only class taught for $99 in Orlando too. Actually, it was $49 for class and certification, and $50 for the books/material. It's about $169 for the theory and 2 dives around here.

Another example is the PADI OW course - Vietnam $350-385, Here - $299. Same identical course. PADI Nat Geo class - Vietnam - $450-495, here -$399. EVERYTHING else in Vietnam costs a lot less compared to the same thing in the US, and yet they still manage to get people to pay as much as or more than US prices for scuba. I guess it's for the foreign market. I suppose I should compare it to other foreign dive destination, then it might seem like a bargain, or not.

Those people may have done alot of dives such as commerical diving or just diving since they were kids. Otherwise then that, Raindow diver is pretty good, but have anybody tried Coco diving? They're pretty good too since I'll be there in Feburary to March. No Dr. Bill, you can't come along for this one. Its just me, my sister, my brother, and 24 of my cousin all smashed into my little hut over in Nha Trang.

You really have not compared much around Orlando either, have you? I've seen the theory only class taught for $99 in Orlando too. Actually, it was $49 for class and certification, and $50 for the books/material. It's about $169 for the theory and 2 dives around here.

Another example is the PADI OW course - Vietnam $350-385, Here - $299. Same identical course. PADI Nat Geo class - Vietnam - $450-495, here -$399. EVERYTHING else in Vietnam costs a lot less compared to the same thing in the US, and yet they still manage to get people to pay as much as or more than US prices for scuba. I guess it's for the foreign market. I suppose I should compare it to other foreign dive destination, then it might seem like a bargain, or not.
I agree in what you are saying concerning the high prices, and as you mentioned it, the courses prices are meant for the foreign tourists, not locals, actually those prices are a bit the same everywhere in east - asia. It's only in the US that where Padi is coming from that prices are much cheaper. You come to europe, forget it LOL, it's really a rip off, even more expensive. That's why I prefer to do my courses in warmer water in east-asia where it's cheaper everytime I have the chance to do it.

I know this is off topic, but could you let me know the shop or PM it to me?

Greetings from Vietnam!

It's nice to see Vietnam as a lively topic for discussion.

I'm the founder & owner of Rainbow Divers in Vietnam. A few of my diveguides have been diving with me for 15 years and were commercial & military divers before. So the figures of 10,000 are in fact on the low side!

But, as one of you mentioned, it's not important if it's 5,000, 10,000 or 20,000. It's certainly a lot better than most of the other centres who use rookie DMTs after 25 dives to guide divers around the reef!

This is why so many divers who come here to dive, take the cheaper option of diving with relatively inexperienced diveguides, see nothing and bemoan Nha Trang Diving as 'nothing special'. For a few dollars more, dive with people who will demonstrate their experience and knowledge of the reefs. When I get the opportunity to fun dive, I go with one of my team to really see the stuff here!

Prices for courses? Don't forget that we're inporting manuals & materials into Vietnam and in most cases everything attracts a 30-60% import tax!

As I clearly state on my websites, Vietnam is not as abundant with marinelife as say The Red Sea, Sipadan or The Barrier Reef. However, we have very satisfied divers who dive with Rainbow and many return on a regular basis.

I'm happy to answer all and any enquiries about diving in Vietnam.

Regards & Safe Diving.........

Jeremy

Hi all,
I dived in Nah Trang with Rainbow Divers.It was back in 2005,so I don't know what it's like now.As someone else said you can dive Nah Trang but don't expect anything mind blowing,very far from that actually.RD was ok, professional,friendly staff.The diving was actually a bit on the crap side but the food on the boat was superb:D
I enjoyed Nah Trang anyway,it's really a nice relaxed place.So if you happen to be there you can give the diving a go,but going for the diving?...I don't think so:no:

I think Rainbow is a great diving center. I got certified there July 2009 and was so satisfied with my instructor. There was also a Divemaster candidate who assisted my instructor too. We had a fun time together.

I will definitely be back to Nha Trang next summer for the next certification after I get home from school.

We dived with Rainbow Divers in Nha Trang a few years ago and I have nothing but good memories. It was July/August. Viz was OK and temperature OK. Massive thermoclines among the boulders from bath warm to refrigerator in one fin stroke - an experience in itself.

They pick up from a number of hotels and yet it is NOT a cattleboat. They are punctual, they check your level of expertise, they watch you set up your gear and they watch you like a hawk on your first dive to make sure. They allocate you to the same dive guide every dive if they can. We never had more than 4 to one guide. Our guide was highly experienced ex-military and he quickly understood our interest in macro stuff. That man could see nudis the size of rice grains. He showed us stuff that most would miss and explained it to us. He loved and respected his underwater world. If you want to see and know - then this is good diving. If all you want is a shark - forget it.

I don't trust my gear to just anyone. Our guide looked after our gear meticulously. From watching us set it up on the first dive he had noted position of tank (not too high for the missus or the valve hits her head), all straps, clips and routine with camera. He got it perfect.

The beginner divers on the boat were calm, well-organised and returned from every dive smiling. The boat was spacious, head and shower. Never felt "drilled" but everyone knew what and where and hence comfortable and relaxed. And the sponge cake is brilliant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom