Viewfinder .8X

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cjbikes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings to one and all...

I've been using the viewfinder which came with the RDX housing, which is a .5X, however I find the image to be
way small to properly view it, specially with high contrast subjects.

Has anyone out there been using the .8X viewfinder, and can give me some feedback as to the magnification,
does it help with macro, and if in wide angle, can you see the complete picture, or should it be used for macro
work alone???

Thanks as always to the community herein,

CJ

Hi cjbikes

You did not mention which of the RDX models (400 to 650) you have but I have a RDX550 and so far my investigation has yielded the following since I also wondered about this subject.
If you want to get an idea of scale you can look at the link below:
http://www.seaandsea.jp/file_master/adownload/46111_2.pdf
Now that you are all excited the bad news - I spoke to a guy this week who has a Nikon D300(with proper large prism viewfinder) in an MDX housing and even he was not happy with the standard Sea & Sea viewfinders (granted he does super macro)so he fitted a 45 degree viewfinder. I thought I might as well take my pocket rocket DSLR to the next level and fit their 45degree or straight x1.2 viewfinder but now the S&S manuals are sort of conflicting on the compatability of these viewfinders with RDX housings. I have measured a Nauticam 45 degree viewfinder but that is too big and thus will not allow for their adapter bush so I am hoping this buddy will measure his Inon 45degree viewfinder and hopefully that will fit the hole in the RDX viewfinder window - seems S&S never thought people wil pay almost as much for a viewfinder as for the housing. Will let you know if I get a solution.
Regards

Thank so much for the link...that gives me a good idea of what I'm up against.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom