Views on playing with or harrasing marine life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TomR1:
New divers using dive knives fills me with dread.

You may have seen where the diver release form does not release the instructor from incompetence.

Rusty may be gone without our help.

Tom

No wonder Tom has issues with music...he was born in 1941 and his interests are backpacking a bridge....must be an exciting lifestyle you're leading with those interests. Not to take it to a personal issue with you Tom, but you guys have to understand that as I read the various posts I am really sitting back, as my peers are and laughing at you and the threads. I am sure this will develop another fifty threads or so, but there has to be something more interesting then dead urchins or playing with the angel sharks. I have a cool video of a female instructor that was sent to me shooting a lingcod. I can post that for ya! I agree the ocean has limited resources. I, nor my associates waste or abuse the marine life....and my choice of music with the videos shows the excitement that most new divers feel. I would wager with you that a majority of SoCal instructors, while at our Islands, open a sea urchin up to bring the fish in. Understand, that we are careful not to do it in an invertebrate protected area. This action makes the dive exciting and very interested for the new divers. Thanks for your time and I do appreciate the hate mail

You are definitely ****ed up dude. It ain't my fault that I can't remember the 60's, 70's or 80's. It is now 2004 dude and what you are dealing ain't cool. I ain't into hate dude. Just like lighten up and don't show it off. it ain't cool like to old days.

TomR1:
You are definitely ****ed up dude. It ain't my fault that I can't remember the 60's, 70's or 80's. It is now 2004 dude and what you are dealing ain't cool. I ain't into hate dude. Just like lighten up and don't show it off. it ain't cool like to old days.

Easy does it old partner......be careful....all those strong email cussin words might bring the 'ole ticker rate up a little too high. Just playin with ya Tom. Hope you take me up on my offer. :wink:

I, nor my associates waste or abuse the marine life....
Wow, did you watch the same video as the rest of us? Appearantly not.

Thanks for your time and I do appreciate the hate mail
Your welcome

Matthew J D'Avella

Commercial fishing is really bad for the oceans. On the other hand most people eat fish - and have done for centuries. Not everyone dives however, and surely there is something to be said for setting an example? For me the main point is about the gratuitous nature of messing with animals - any animals - just for the kick. I just don't like - or agree with it. On the other hand, doing something for a reason - even killing - is something that I do understand, as it has an ultimate purpose. I eat meat. I eat fish. How else would they come on my plate? Surely while we recognise that some things are harmful to the planet - but necessary for us, the answer is to try to find better ways to get what we need. We all drive cars, for instance, we know that it's really bad - and now we have manufacturers who are trying to design better cars - electric - hydrogen powered etc - so that in the end we might just get suitable transportation that doesn't hurt our own home (the environment). I come from the UK - and you should hear the arguments that rage over fishing there. However - in the end there is no more argument - because there's no more fish! (Look at the Aegean for example). So yes - there are very large points that need sorting - I agree - but as some of of posts pointed out - the smaller things really do matter too. To fix anything I need to fix myself first - and for me personally - anyone who engages in wanton destruction that has no purpose except self gratification isn't even fit to be called a caveman (as I think that most anthropologists would say that primitive peoples tend to live in harmony with their environments) - I'd simply have to call them morons. Disturbing the peace is a crime in every civilization I know - so why is it so much to ask that we extend the same peace to our surroundings?

Rusty, the unanswered question awaits you

Don't touch, don't take. I wouldn't nudge someone on the subway to experience how they move or feel and I feel the same way about the ocean and marine life. JMHO. Were I a marine bilologist or studying for good reason, then "experiencing" may be okay.

I hate it when dive guides grab, touch, or poke marine life for better tips. Pointing is great though. I had a bad "experience" with a dive guide in Cozumel that felt my "experience" would be improved by him thrusting his hands under coral and ripping a large fish from its hiding spot. I almost puked in my regulator when he did this. I have the picture of this as%$^le doing it to prove it too. Again, JMHO. I'll email it to anyone who wants to see it.

scubadobadoo:
Don't touch, don't take. I wouldn't nudge someone on the subway to experience how they move or feel and I feel the same way about the ocean and marine life. JMHO.
I wouldn't nudge someone on the subway either - they might have a gun. However, if I josteled a fish on the subway, I wouldn't really think twice about it, unless it had big teeth :eyebrow:

Would you have felt better if your DM had instead thrust a spear under the rock and then showed you his catch? No beatin good eatin!

No I wouldn't, because he did it in a protected marine park. What I should have done was turn his A%% in! I wish I would have. He not only hurt the fish but he destroyed coral to impress me. I don't dive with that op. and tell my friends not too.

I respect the idea of dif. strokes for dif. folks, but breaking the law is another matter. I would like to try hunting one day as well but I don't plan on breaking the law while doing it. Listen, if you are catching and cooking, I will probably be eating. As long as it isn't coming from a protected environment or being done to a protected animal. People dive for dif. reasons. I understand and respect that as well.

I think what it comes down to is respect for the circle of life. If you are going to take, do it with respect and responsibilty. In the end, mother nature will revolt for the abuse we have given her and Man will pay the price. As silly as that may sound, deep down we all know it's the truth.

As I write this, the Iron Chef is cutting the head off a trout on the TV. LOL. Very funny. Perhaps mother nature has stolen my remote!

scubadobadoo:
No I wouldn't, because he did it in a protected marine park. What I should have done was turn his A%% in! I wish I would have. He not only hurt the fish but he destroyed coral to impress me. I don't dive with that op. and tell my friends not too.

As I write this, the Iron Chef is cutting the head off a trout on the TV. LOL. Very funny. Perhaps mother nature has stolen my remote!
Yes, but he'll eat it, so it's ok. BTW - I support the protection laws as well - they are good ideas that need to be adopted more widely...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom