Viking Pro 1000 failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3D diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

My Viking Pro 1000 has failed after roughly 2 years of use. I wonder whether any here have had a similar experience?

I am a recreational diver in the Monterey CA area. My Viking Sport model survived 15 years of active use then delaminated in storage while I was taking a break from diving. I replaced it with a Viking Pro 1000 manufactured in 2010---I bought it in late 2011 & started using it in March 2012.

It began leaking in April 2014. I couldn't find the leak so sent it to a repairman. He said the material appeared to be unusually thin due, probably, to a manufacturing defect and was leaking in a broad area near the zipper. Ansell refused to look at it, so he applied glue and tape to the inside and returned it. It dove dry for a few more months then began sprouting worse, easily visible, leaks in the back and front of the suit. I patched a few, but they were appearing faster than I could patch.

Ansell was contacted again and the suit was returned under RMA. After a month of silence they responded saying it was failing due to contaminant exposure. This is highly unlikely as I am a recreational diver, diving in clean water, and care for it simply---rinse, hang dry indoors and store in bag. I even provided links to my YouTube videos of all but 11 of my 69 dives with the suit, so they could assess the dive conditions for themselves.

Ansell has gone silent again. I have contacted two other Viking vendors/repairmen and they both mentioned a decline in quality.

What is the experience here?

I was expecting this suit to last the rest of my dive life & am quite disappointed to have to replace it so soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom