Vintage diving...what was it like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I don't believe it was marketed as a BC originally (the term buoyancy compensator had not yet been coined), the Fenzy may have been the first with the features that now define a BC, oral and power inflation, overpressure/dump valve. I found this.

The ABLJ (ajustable buoyancy life jacket) was developed by Maurice Fenzy in 1961. [3] Early versions were inflated by mouth underwater. Later versions had their own air inflation cylinder. Some had carbon dioxide inflation cylinders, a development which was abandoned when valves that allowed divers to breathe from the BC's inflation bag were introduced. Since 1969 most modern BCs have used inflation gas from one of the diver's main gas cylinders, in addition to an oral inflation tube which is used at the surface in the event the diver has no high pressure gas left. In 1971, ScubaPro developed the Stabilizer Jacket, the first jacket-style BC, and in 1972 Watergill developed the Atpac wing.

A recent article in the local news paper questioned the accuracy of on line information sources and presented examples of gross errors as well as some items that were totally correct. I will not question the validity of the source but will offer the following;

There was a fellow Antonio Ribera from Barcelona Spain who was very active in early diving. He was one of the early translators of JYC's "Silent World" from English in to his native language --not Spanish, but Catalonian, a Spanish dialect which contains a little Italian, French and what ever else tossed in. (Not for your information I know you know it-- but FYI others the "Silent World" was first printed by Harper and Rowe, NYC in English, later French and now 23 different languages)

Also at that time Antonio was collecting the red corral that profusely grew in deep water off the coast and marketing it for jewelry--it was highly prised and very expensive . (FYI I have a Pukka Strand with the red coral interspersed in it.! wow showing my age)

One of his many problems was buoyancy.

He solved it by creating an air bag to which he attached a hose and a crude mouth piece from a double hose regulator. this gave his buoyancy at depth as well as a personal lift bag. Very little was made of his SAID ---aka Specific Adaptation to the Imposed Demand, for at that time in the early to mid 1950s very little attention was given to buoyancy. It was not needed since most who were active in diving had been HS/College swimmer athletes... as the sport progressed and currently most who enter the sport can barely swim and certainly were not athletic, so later on buoyancy became a serious issue that had to be addressed by diving manufactures and certainly welcomed by the occasional vacation diver.

About the same time that the BF became popular Nemrod also offered a large yellow well made almost inflexible horse collar with a long inflation tube which possibly came from the Nemrod double hose regulator--It is also noted at that time Antonio was an official with Nemrod...As I recall the National or International Sales manager.

He was a prolific writer , wrote for various diving and sport magazines, had translated the Silent world, and I think he was the one who wrote or was a major contributor to the "History of Nemrod"...I saw the book only once it was very complete and had a bright red cover--

Don't have a copy of the Silent World in Catalonian nor do I have the History of Nemrod.--some day !

<I also don't have any books in French-- they were stolen by a couple "researching information" for a book--that never will be published>

SDM

Hi Sam, how have you been.
I did have a Nemrod BC with a small inflation bottle similar to the Fenzy that I bought in the early 70's. At the time the Fenzy was quite a bit more expensive than the Nemrod BC. I can't recall which came on the market first but it seemed the Fenzy got a lot more press for whatever reason.

You are correct..

I recall but have not verified that the two vest (BCs) appeared on the American Market about the same time

I think the Nemrod line had previouly such a difficult time in the US and were probably under capitlized for the US market. Therefore did not have the advertising buget. BF was a new company therefore had considerable advertising buget to enter the US market place

I had one of the first Nemrod's in our area, I can't recall the rep's name, but he gave it to me to dive. I didn't like the inflator system so had a SeaTec installed...by the way check "Passings" Just posted on Harry Ruscigno, the founder of SeaTec.

All is well...have had a sick computer...Rooted for LSU's base ball team...only one in family to back them and LSU was the winner! Going to South Bend to attend ND game this year..

Well maybe it's time to think about getting a new one.

I was in first grade when mine was made.

N

The rubber for the original wet suits came from Kirkhill ruber company in Brea California. It was WW11 surplus, having been manufactured as a covering of vechicle and airplane gas tanks.

As diving became more popular more companies began manufactureing the rubber. The divers demanded that it be thicker and more flexible.

sdm
The wetsuit was invented in 1952 by Dr. Hugh Bradner of U.C. Berkeley. Dr. Bradner and a few of his colleagues created a small company to market what was called the "EDCO Sub-Mariner" suit, $45 for the short version and $75 for the "full suit," as an ad in a 1954 edition of Skin Diver magazine put it.

I still routinely dive a skin two side Rubatex GN-231N suit, far warmer and far more comfortable than any of the "modern" material suits.

Based on what he calls "vintage" diving, we were still doing it in the Navy in the late 70s. Horse collar BC with no inflation (other than blowing into tube). CO2 cartridge inflation for emergencies. Oval masks that were crazy hard to clear. Hard backpack (single or twin steel 70s). J-valve on single, manifold valve on twins (yikes!). Stiff paddle fins with no ports. Single stage regulator that breathed real hard at depths greater than 60 feet. Beaver tail wetsuits.

Someone out there may miss this gear. I don't.

I love my overbalanced reg. I love the fact I have an octo. I love that newfangled low pressure inflator valve on my BC. I love fins that make me go fast with way less effort. I love a mask that clears in a single puff. I love staying warm in my fancy wetsuit (and fancier drysuit).

Anyone who says they love the old days is either a masochist or they don't remember the way it really was....

Based on what he calls "vintage" diving, we were still doing it in the Navy in the late 70s. Horse collar BC with no inflation (other than blowing into tube). CO2 cartridge inflation for emergencies. Oval masks that were crazy hard to clear. Hard backpack (single or twin steel 70s). J-valve on single, manifold valve on twins (yikes!). Stiff paddle fins with no ports. Single stage regulator that breathed real hard at depths greater than 60 feet. Beaver tail wetsuits.

Someone out there may miss this gear. I don't.

I love my overbalanced reg. I love the fact I have an octo. I love that newfangled low pressure inflator valve on my BC. I love fins that make me go fast with way less effort. I love a mask that clears in a single puff. I love staying warm in my fancy wetsuit (and fancier drysuit).

Anyone who says they love the old days is either a masochist or they don't remember the way it really was....

What I miss was that there were not that many of us around. No one tried to hold your hand. You were expected to know your business. But then again, a bunch of guys I used to dive with nicknamed me "Masochistic Matt", which probably says it all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom