Vintage fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't know, over the years I have used Churchhills, Voit Vikings, USD Rockets and UDT's Voit UDT's, Power Planas and these Nemrod Super A's are the most flexiable ones I have ever used. Maybe a bad batch of rubber.

Captain,

The Power Planas use a thermo plastic that changes its flexibility depending upon the water temperature. In tropical areas, these fins are very flexible; they aren't in the Pacific Northwest where the water temperatures are in the 40-55 degree F range.

This may also be the reason Nemrod likes his Jet Fins over the plastic variety. If he is using the plastic fins in warm water, there will be a difference in their performance verses in cooler waters. Jet Fins, however, will be virtually the same in all water temperatures.

I have a large collection of vintage fins, and they include two pairs of original Swimaster Duck Feet fins. I do not like the AMF Voit version of the Duck Feet, as when they bought Swimaster, apparently this was not a mutual agreement. My understanding is that Swimaster destroyed the dies for the original Duck Feet fins, and AMF Voit had to re-do them. The original was a great fin; the AMF Voit version gave me cramps.

More later,

SeaRat

In part it could be my Plana Graphites are gretting old. I had to use a heat gun on them to get the straight. I may get a set of the newer Mares fins to replace them. The thing I always liked about them is that they were full foot and fit well enough I did not need boots. I had never had any damages to my toesies until this trip so something has changed. I like their light weight also. I may look as some of the cheap Avanti X3 type. Not much into spending money on flippers. Jets are just to heavy for travel these days. This trip I and my wife had four checked bags and two carry ons plus personal bags--never again will we carry that much stuff.

I went to the doc this morning, anyways, he was happening to notice my toes, they look horrid after the Planas ground them up. I told him what it was from and he just looked at me with this stupid look doctors give people when they think you are an idiot kinda look.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom