Vintage gear vs. Modern Dive Boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Q

Queen

Since I have (ahem) gotten a bit fluffy in recent years, and am looking at getting some of my own equipment again (been borrowing/renting...yuck), I'm curious if a dive boat operator will have a problem if I show up in vintage gear? I loved using my old stuff and would like to buy some new "old" stuff but don't want to waste the $$ if I'll be turned away by the operator. Any thoughts or experiences??

Some will and some won't. Best to ask up front. I e-mailed several shops and it was about 50/50.

Tom

Thanks Tom, since I live a long way from really GOOD diving (and I'm not well off) it matters quite a bit. I can just see myself......showing up at the boat in my vintage finery and getting turned down like I'm wearing last years prom dress! Sad!

I would contact the dive operator in advance. I have the advantage , in that I work for a dive operator, and never say no to myself. Most operations need business,
so turning away customers is not to their advantage.
Aloha Turtleguy

Some boat operators do feel a bit uneasy when you show up with a vintage j-valved steel 72 strapped to a US divers pack, not a BC in sight, and then proceed to rig up your twin hose Aquamaster. One of the things I do - and I know its not in the 'full spirit of vintage diving ' - is to attach a pony bottle with a modern first/second stage regulator to the pack or main tank (and even rig up a SpareAir to the tank straps). You can then assure the dive boat operator that if your twin hose packs it in, or you run out of air (even with the j-valve), or you need to buddy breath with someone who has not worked with a twin hose – all you need to do is pull out the modern back-up reg. I’d also say that, at least when diving off someone else’s boat, you should dive with well maintained vintage gear. Showing up with a poorly maintained, pitted, dinged, and duct taped twin hose rig will surely not make fellow divers and the boat operator feel comfortable! my 2 drachmas on the topic.

Queen:
Since I have (ahem) gotten a bit fluffy in recent years, and am looking at getting some of my own equipment again (been borrowing/renting...yuck), I'm curious if a dive boat operator will have a problem if I show up in vintage gear? I loved using my old stuff and would like to buy some new "old" stuff but don't want to waste the $$ if I'll be turned away by the operator. Any thoughts or experiences??

Back
Top Bottom