Vintage ;o)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Santa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can I just say, this vintage diving thing is a really interesting development. New to me however vintage ;0)

I'm a guitarist. On guitarworld vintage gear is great gear. However we are now seeing the second wave of vintage. first wave vintage was 50-early 70ties stuff.

second is - surprise - 80-90ties

I learned to play in the 80ties. most of my gear from that time is now considered vintage. I know for a fact that half of it is junk, pale reflections of older, actually better models of superior materials and craftmanship.

kids growing up now seem to think old=vintage=cool. They buy ****ty post CBS fenders from the mid 70ties for horrendous sums of money because they look worn - and vintage. Companies are even making new stuff artificially road-worn looking so that even the economically challenged get to feel vintage.

I seriously never thought this would find its way into survival-related technology. If I pop a vessel - please for the record dont give me vintage brain surgery, and please please please let potential vintage girlfriends in the past remain.

I guess Vintage wetsuits may be identified by their vintage odeur?
That sticks are vintage computers?
That gravel is vintage diet?
That quicksilver cake is vintage makeup?
That a smack in the gob is vintage dentistry and an axe to the forehead vintage political debate?

you may continue on at your own leisure . . .

I guess we survived this long, no reason we can not continue to survive with some confidence.

N

guess you are right, no disrespect, it just struck my funnybone for some reason. I would actually like to try diving with older equipment just for the challenge of it. Being a gearfreak purist i completely sympathise with even the most irrational techno-joy.

guess you are right, no disrespect, it just struck my funnybone for some reason. I would actually like to try diving with older equipment just for the challenge of it. Being a gearfreak purist i completely sympathise with even the most irrational techno-joy.

You are a little behind the times.

IMG_1345_edited-1-1.jpg

This was a three hour swim, no BC, just my Voit 50 Fathom and me:

P6170105.jpg

Some of us really do go solo, alone, with no training wheels into the sea with no fear and return, safety is, after all, way over rated.

N

safety wil always be subject to debate I guess but those are some cool pics and a cool piece of gear.

A friend of mine says he has some sort of brass jacque costeua anniversary scuba kit in his basement . I havent seen it yet though. Pretty sure its just regular scuba made to look old but Id like to take it for a spin. I comes with special tank as well.

safety wil always be subject to debate I guess but those are some cool pics and a cool piece of gear.

A friend of mine says he has some sort of brass jacque costeua anniversary scuba kit in his basement . I havent seen it yet though. Pretty sure its just regular scuba made to look old but Id like to take it for a spin. I comes with special tank as well.

You should investigate your friends rig, could be interesting!

Actually, the Phoenix Royal Aqua Master (PRAM) double hose regulator OUTPERFORMS modern single hose regulators, is just as reliable if not more so, supports multiple LP and HP accessories and it is the BOMB!

The blue 50 Fathom in my pics is a NEW!!!!!!! reproduction housing with a Mistral guts.

All hoses, diaphragms and parts for many Aqua Master and Voit twinhosers are available as new reproduction parts, upgraded and in wonderful soft silicone. We are not taking 50 year old junk to 200 feet, everything is rebuilt, replaced and upgraded.

Yes, hate to tell you this, but your favorite single hose is a downgrade from a PRAM. Visit Vintage Double Hose for more info and join the fourum there and welcome to vintage.

And, yes, for many of us pre-Gen X-ers, No Fear is not just a stupid decal we put on our car, it is for real, safety is not the most important thing in life, living is.

N, anti-nanny diver, minimalism to the maximum-ism

That old brass scuba kit may be a 25th anniversary gold plated Royal Aqua Master of which only 100 were made.

im off to marseilles for a few weeks but I think ill check it out when i get back. He said if I could be bothered to service it and take care of it i could use it. hes got kids and doesnt dive these days maybe then over time gradually it would become slightly *mine* ;O)

no - kidding if its the aquamaster and theres a chance its worth real money now he should be made aware of it. are they pricey these days?

love these "treasure in the attic" things

Define "pricey," by the time you purchase a DA Aqua Master and convert it to a Phoenix configuration, purchase new parts, hoses, rebuild kit, mouthpiece etc, do a re-chrome and other items you can have over a 1,000 dollars involved. A Voit anything commands high prices due to the association with Sea Hunt and because there simply are fewer about.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom