• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Vintage or junk?

Discussion in 'Vintage Equipment Diving' started by Coztick, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Coztick

Coztick Manta Ray

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Hey all you vintage gear gurus!
    I've collected 4 lp steels for local stuff and was wondering whether to reuse the original valves.
    The J valve has adjustment screws on the top. I'm not sure whether they set reserve pressure or gauge calibration. I'm curious whether I can remove the reserve function and actuator.
    The K valves have a cover on top as well that I haven't removed...

Any wisdom will be appreciated.

Cheers 20210210_145809.jpg 20210210_132044.jpg 20210210_145816.jpg

2. 0ctoman

0ctoman Angel Fish

That's some relic hardware you got there and it's in great shape. They even have an integrated pressure gauge (the windows with the F, 1/2, E). I would removed them and service them before use but they look in working conditions. I have two tanks with K valve and they work just fine as long as the emergency valve is pointing down to keep the chamber open all the time. Never had an issue (knocking on wood)

Coztick likes this.
  3. Coztick

Coztick Manta Ray

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Thanks!
    They are old but have only been hydrotested a couple times. 3 galvanized and one paint over galvanized.
    3 72s and an 85.
    I was hoping to defeat the reserve and remove the lever to use the stub for a bungee hook as I SM.
    The integrated gauge would be great if it's close to accurate.
    New burst discs after hydro is a given...
    20210103_165830.jpg
    Cheers

4. Luis H

Luis H Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Those are great valves. They were my favorite valves in the 70's.

The gauge is not very accurate, but it was convenient to let you know if a cylinder is empty or if it is full. It was handy to sort which cylinders have been used.

The reserve valve is called a DCAR valve (Depth Compensated Adjustable Reserve valve). Yes, you can remove some of the guts for the reserve and use it as a K valve. You can actually open the reserve side and work on it with a full cylinder (with the valve closed).

If you remove the reserve plunger (from the top), the tiny little hole on the top (in the center of the adjusting piece) will need to be blocked to keep the air in. When you put a regulator on and open the valve air will come out of that hole if you take out the reserve plunger. That hole allows water pressure to push on the reserve plunger for pressure/ Depth Compensation. This is the only reserve I am aware of with this feature.

If you go to the VintageDoubleHose.com web-site you can download a diagram for the valve. It is very simple. You access some of the reserve valve components from the large screw on the top.

Leaving the reserve alone and just lowering the lever is a very reasonable thing to do. Even if you don't plan to use the reserve, it doesn't hurt to leave it alone. It is just a flow restriction when the tank pressure is low (with the lever up).

axxel57 and couv like this.