Vintage Scuba books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ulfhedinn

-Skill Collector-
Reaction score
Book 1
Practical Diving
(1974) ISBN 0-87024-278-4

Book 2
Scuba Diving - How to get Started
(1976) ISBN 0-8019-6371-0

Book 3
Diver Below!
(1969) Congress CC Number 69-14169

Book 4
The Digest Book of Skin & Scuba Diving
() ISBN 0-695-81296-6

IMG_0417.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0424.jpg
    IMG_0424.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 948
Not sure of the Value but Im semi trusting of those on the forum. What are they worth to you?

IMG_0409.jpg
IMG_0413.jpg
IMG_0416.jpg

Seems I cant figure out my computer today..

I had "Diver Below".

Most books are common "How to books" which contain very little information germaine to vintage diving.

I thought I might be interested in Mount's book, but it's value is so low which when combined with shipping cost , would increase the price well over and above it value.

Dale c..interested? Perhaps a combined sale?

I am at a loss to advise the seller where he can advertise and possibly sell the books--any one with asuggestion?

SAM MILLER

any help appreciated :idk: :)

There's not that much demand for stuff like this - it boils down to someone wanting a specific title. So now here I go with yet another boring story, this one about a book.

When I was a kid, I got hold of Skin Diving Made Easy and read this thing cover to cover. I had already been diving for a while but in crappy, murky, cold New England waters. Plus I was nearsighted and had finally got one of those suction cup lens holder doodads for my mask, although the water was still cold - ice diving with a 3/8" wetsuit in Candlewood Lake in Connecticut, murky - solo diving in a quarry in Torrington, CT, although the water cleared up at 40' except a tree down there grabbed me and I was by myself.

I was working in the late '80's on Oahu for Vehon Diving Ventures in Hawaii Kai when the owner, who we affectionately referred to as "Lumpy" because of his hernia, hired this old man for some unknown reason, maybe just to break mis bollas once again to prove that he was the boss. He did this every now and then to demonstrate his power. His last hire before I quit to go back to the computer biz lead to a combined FBI/HPD SWAT assault on the store to remove his new employee. I guess the guy didn't check the box where it asked if you wrote bad checks and then robbed the banks where they failed to cash your rubber checks. It's easy to miss I guess. That was a fun day.
Ok, so now I have this old guy hired as a tank pumper. Since he's an old man and can't lift too much, I have to hump all the tanks pretty much after 11am since he's tired and I don't want him to die on my watch.
I have to be honest and say that I was a more than a little pissed here since I drove the boat mornings and afternoons or dived 4 times per day if Don drove. I need help in the back pumping tanks, especially when the commercial accounts like John Fredericks and ah.......Cathy showed up with ten zillion tanks at 4pm.
The other mainstay of the shop was The Large One, also known as El Puerco. He just was, and there was no changing him.
It probably took two weeks before I warmed to the old guy a little - most of the new hires were gone in a day or two. Historically, I was THE only employee to actually resign and not quit or be fired. Don took that one hard.
So one day I'm talking with this old guy - his name was Gene. Nice guy. Lots of stories. And maybe on the third day, I realized that this was Gene Tinker who had written the book that changed my life - yes, Gene had written Skin Diving Made Easy with the editors of Skin Diver Magazine.
I sat there recalling each page from memory, especially pages 45, 165, and 172 (babe shots!) and I hadn't seen the book for maybe 25 years at that point.
I don't know what happened to Gene or Don, but I found a copy of his book on Amazon and it was worth $15 to me.
Try listing your stuff on there. Maybe there's some itinerant out there looking for it.

Tom,
Welcome to the vintage area and what a great story!

Never met Gene Tinker, but for a while he certainly produced the books and stories for SDM. I recall the rumor that he was living back on the east coast, where he was originaly from, possibly near your birthplace. By now he has to be in his mid 80's or more.--certainly a name fom the past.

SDM
NAUI instructor, #27

That was a great story.
Sorry but as Sam said, those are common how to do books that I have seen several times before, especially the Freys. The exception being Tom Mounts book which may be of some interest to some because of his well know history as a diver. I have another by him and do tend to collect authors in series but for PB's I don't spend a lot.
I like the "hunt" of discovering books for cheap in old bookstores and thrift shops and that is the catagory that those books fall into- not really collector quality or era. Without shipping I might pay $5 for the first two (if I wanted them) and $10 for TM's book (which I would want just because I know of him).
Having said that, as Tom says, someone may be looking for one of them or have a fond memory and might pay more or not mind the shipping. For me I have to consider USP costs plus a $4 PO service fee because I'm actually in Canada (2 miles from the border).
Good luck with them.
Dale.

Back
Top Bottom