Vintage strobes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K

KeithG

Just wondering if there was any interest in discussing (bitching about?) strobes that are last years models? Or maybe even much older?

My impression is that the majority of current strobe posts are related to the newest and bestest most expensive latest model strobes (as defined by the various manufacturers Marketing departments). Generally a "Mines Bigger" discussion. A recent "sold" thread of some some older strobes made me sit back and create this thread.

Over the few years that I have paid sparse attention I believe I have seen the following "areas of concern":
- is it digital?
- optical vs wired?
- how much power?
- ttl support?
- duty cycle == overheating (seems like a new topic?)
- I do not know how to use this...

There are also more technical topics to talk about like:
- what are the various wires for my strobe's electrical connector
- electrical ttl converter stuff (bags o fun here...)
- how does optical ttl triggering really work?

Ideas, Feedback, Questions...

I use a ikelite AI strobe which is 30 years old with my aquatica housing and nikon d60 camera. Not supposed to use a non digital strobe with digital camera but i measured the electrical hot shoe on various cameras and found the hot shoe method works as a strobe trigger. Use only manual mode as the camera does not recognize the strobe and guess at setting. I have a nikonos sb 105 i use as a second strobe as a slave. Why change from a strobe which has never given me a problem. Although i have had 3 or 4 sync cords over the years as they break the wires inside. I use 1/2 power for shots till 3 foot and full power after 3 foot. It is a 100 watt strobe and at half power i have about 1 second recycle time. For samples of my photography reefscenics

We discussed more and more photographer and the pictures what we got about the market.... Usually the young photographers like the TTL control, because they don't want to count and set the correct power for strobe. :) Other UW photographers like the manual , because the photo is born in his or her brain and set all settings before push the expo! The second thing is the manual for the only two wire. GND and X. So there is less chance to the contact problem. :)

The control... wired or optical? This time i think this is not relevant, but the optical syncron will not be leak. :)

When we made the strobe characteristics we saw sure there is a different between the types of strobe.
Not only the power... The optical sensor quality, , the shortest flash etc.
So if somebody wants to buy strobes i think this is a challenge to choice a the best.

I know award winning photographers who still use SB-105's with their digital cameras. I've tried cheap strobes, expensive strobes, ttl strobes, powerful strobes. I gave up on cheap strobes. I'm sometimes frustrated with my current, powerful strobes because they lack softness and control. I prefer ttl on portrait and macro photography because it allows you to concentrate on shutter speed and aperture. You don't miss a shot because you blew it out with your strobe setting, then the subject left. I have sworn by electrical connections for years, but optical has reached the point where it is consistent and reliable and you wont have a frozen thread or a little salt water creeping up the wire. Optical also seems to be the current way to go from a ttl standpoint as camera manufacturers are using optical signals. Also, you don't need two $125 wires that wear out.

I use a ikelite AI strobe which is 30 years old with my aquatica housing and nikon d60 camera. Not supposed to use a non digital strobe with digital camera but i measured the electrical hot shoe on various cameras and found the hot shoe method works as a strobe trigger. Use only manual mode as the camera does not recognize the strobe and guess at setting. I have a nikonos sb 105 i use as a second strobe as a slave. Why change from a strobe which has never given me a problem. Although i have had 3 or 4 sync cords over the years as they break the wires inside. I use 1/2 power for shots till 3 foot and full power after 3 foot. It is a 100 watt strobe and at half power i have about 1 second recycle time. For samples of my photography reefscenics
It's incredible, I did not even imagine that such equipment is great!

Back
Top Bottom