Vintage tanks: Where to find

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BenjaminS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been looking for some galvanized steel 72s that're in hydro and vip and I'm having trouble finding a matching pair. Could anyone give me some tips? Also, does anyone know someone who can make custom bands?

Keep an eye on craigslist. I have two sets I have found locally. I think you also may have better luck searching in areas where diving is more common and old timers have gear sitting around from the 70's or 80's.

Thanks, I've gone on craigslist and I found some 72s with 3/4 threads like I wanted. They are LONG out of hydro and vip. What's the chace that the cylinders are rotten?

Thanks, I've gone on craigslist and I found some 72s with 3/4 threads like I wanted. They are LONG out of hydro and vip. What's the chace that the cylinders are rotten?
Slight
Of all the 72s I have bought off CL (about 8 or 9) only one failed a visual. The inner blue epoxy liner was bubbled in places so I had it bead blasted out of there at my hydro shop to find out there was pitting underneath. It was minor but the tank was cheap and I decided it wasn't worth keeping.

Take a light on a wire to look inside. If they still have some pressure and they look decent inside the chances are good they will pass hydro. I carry a tank with air and a transfer whip when I go look at tanks so if I pass on them, I re-pressurize them.

I use the old 60's vintage backpack bands, had one set left from the old days and picked up another with and old manifold on some SP6498 Al tanks cheap. The bands had a rocker built into the center below and between the bands that fit into an old plastic backpack and can easily modified to work an a steel backpack.

Bob
---------------------------------------
If it works I don't care if it matches, I'm here to dive!

If you want bands to fit the 71.2s? Go to www.vintagescubastuff.com
I will have 71.2 cu ft tanks after the 2nd week of March. They will have a 2/17 hydro and viz. They are going to be used at the Silver Springs Sea Hunt Forever 2017 event. When I get home with them, I will advertise on this forum.

If you want bands to fit the 71.2s? Go to www.vintagescubastuff.com
I will have 71.2 cu ft tanks after the 2nd week of March. They will have a 2/17 hydro and viz. They are going to be used at the Silver Springs Sea Hunt Forever 2017 event. When I get home with them, I will advertise on this forum.

Maybe you should advertise what you plan to sell before you drive back to NY. I know a few people in FL that might be interested in some.

I see them all the time on CL in my area.

Its not unusual. I have found some that had the internal vinyl liners. I know they can be tumbled out, but I just don't think its worth the cost. I think the last pair I bought were $75 each with recent hydro.

You can get them internally bead blasted really cheap. One shop I found does it along with a hydro for just $2 more than the charge for just the hydro.

Caveeagle, Flordia doesn't need another pair of 72s. They've got plenty as it is.Think of it as charity, if it suits you. I'm just a young diver with technical aspirations who is looking for two 72s to double up.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom