VIP Inspectors: Identifiable vs Identified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just made a rig that sits on the treadmill and handles two cylinders at a time. Plenty of power for two 130's and speed can be easily adjusted.
Pics of it in action?

The lesson here is that it’s not the best use of of time and money to get certified to inspect your own tanks.

Unless you have your own compressor, you’re still dealing with a dive shop for fills, so what’s the point?

Any cost savings is offset by the time and expense of taking the class and buying stickers.

It’s not the dive shop practices I would be questioning.
It’s simple math to determine whether or not it is worth getting certified to perform a VIP

It’s simple math to determine whether or not it is worth getting certified to perform a VIP
No its not because shops change or make up new rules all the damn time.

re: the UV light -- You'd best contact PSI-PCI and let them know.

Not my job to educate PSI on what does/doesn't fluoresce and the mass of oil required to actually be visible to the naked eye. I don't honestly care if they sell UV lights that are worthless.

In my PSI handouts from way back when (2005ish), they also had a pretty egregious error in the maximum pit depth allowed in an "3AL" cylinder. I didn't notice it, but my hydro shop failed a tank I has passed because I relied on their sheet. I don't know if they are still using that handout. It only matters if you VIP cylinders other than 3AL3000 series - like DAN O2 bottles and the old AL14s (both of which are 3AL2015)

Well, I’m scheduled to do two of my singles on Saturday morning before I spend the afternoon in the pool working on valve drills. I’m even able to do a buddy’s two tanks. Repair dept guy said he was going to be there Saturday morning anyway.

In financial terms it is, but only while the rules and / or shop policies are not changing. And evidently, they do.
In safety terms, in terms of actually knowing how your tank looks like vs. having to trust someone else who may have done their job very well - or not - I have no idea how to do that math.

Thankfully all the shops in my area don't seem to have any funky rules regarding VIP. An in VIP tank is an in VIP tank 'round these parts.

For me, the math made sense. I own 10 tanks, my father owns 4, and my uncle owns 4. Between 4 of my tanks being deco bottles that need to be o2 cleaned I (will) have broken even in the first year between the VIP course and tools.

It's unfourtune others aren't as lucky with local shops, but I get it.

My buddy is very happy he’s getting his two tanks inspected for $5/each instead of $25. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom