viper octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

imwright1985

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
heard something about wanting an upstream octo didnt know if that applied to this one. i like this octo for size but want one that will be good incase of needing to use it, but since i dont plan on using it want a small octo that will work for most situations. How will this one work out for me?

The Viper Reg/Octo will be fine. I used a Viper 2nd stage for a few dives. I didn't like the way it breathed. But it definetly worked well and did what it was made to do; deliver air. I wouldn,t want one as a 2nd stage, but for an Octo, it will be fine! After all, if someone needs to use your octo, they will be vary happy to get air, even if it doesn,t breathe effortlessly! Plus there are some good deals on Vipers...

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

heard something about wanting an upstream octo didnt know if that applied to this one. i like this octo for size but want one that will be good incase of needing to use it, but since i dont plan on using it want a small octo that will work for most situations. How will this one work out for me?

You don't really eever want an "upstream" octo design and no one realyl makes them any more - excpet poseiden and they are not upstream in the traditional sense, just not downstream designs.

The Viper is a normal unbalanced downstream design. As indicated above, it works fine but won't offer srellar breathing performance.

yeah its an octo so i can care less about breathing ability just that it works, and we have been dropping to low 100ft dives lately so kinda wondering about that

I have this as my octo and it actually breathes very nicely for a "backup" second stage. It's not my Micra or Proton but its a competent performer.

C.

I have this as my octo and it actually breathes very nicely for a "backup" second stage. It's not my Micra or Proton but its a competent performer.

C.

Hey all, I have to agree with Claude here. This octo is really not a bad breathing piece of equipment. Other than the cracking effort set a little stronger than a primary 2nd stage, this is a quality breather. The reality is we had a full line of regulators utilizing this design, coupled with various 1st stages. Once the initial bugs were worked out, they breathed great IMO. Just my 2$

I have this as an octo and it works pretty good. In the beginning it would drizzle a few bubbles. At my first yearly service the tech tweaked it just a touch and now its fine any direction. He says the factory usually has it set for a littler easier breathing and he adjusts from there.

a few things here. the Viper 1st stage is a ballanced regulator. Second the reg does a good job at just about any depth including outside the rec range. The line pressure for this reg is to be between 145 and 156 which may be higher than some first stages use so compatability is an issue. If your selected 1st stage is not delivering at least 145 than it indeed may breath hard. I have a few sets of these on both rec and tech rigs and they perform great once set and easy to service. Finding parts on occasion is an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom