Virtual Reality Gear - any good scuba apps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, let me ask a more directly related question (don't have any VR gear, don't know, sorry if those sound extra stupid):

The app you tried was a scuba diving app?
Diving around and lookIng at things? Or needing to do tasks or?

To be used with VR headgear and doing what to "dive around"?
(More like just move the head or more like lay with your midsection face down on a barstool and with VR fins on work your way through the VR reef).

Breathing room air or breathing through a regulator?

Is the entertainment factor coming from "the tour" and in what you see - or?

A new way to look at videos and photos. VR Gear was free with the purchase of my Samsung Galaxy 8. I'm sure some very cool things will come from this technology such as adapted learning or offer of experiences for those with disabilities.

Maybe I'll make some dive training apps for the first boat dive or the first shore dive or first something. Just need to buy some gear...

Edit: https://www.google.com/amp/s/phys.org/news/2016-04-scuba-simulator-advances-field-virtual.amp

Last edited:
A new way to look at videos and photos. VR Gear was free with the purchase of my Samsung Galaxy 8. I'm sure some very cool things will come from this technology such as adapted learning or offer of experiences for those with disabilities.

Maybe I'll make some dive training apps for the first boat dive or the first shore dive or first something. Just need to buy some gear...
So looking at 360 degree photos is a VR tour, but interactive VR could be a type of training.
Before "Safety Star Citizens" blast me, I am not saying it will replace training. Just augment training. For example, give two divers an interactive experience of what low visibility conditions look like, and work on staying close or night conditions, and finding flashlights, other gear, flourescent night life, in the dark. That kind of thing. Other ideas for dry dive practice are are welcome?

For example, give two divers an interactive experience of what low visibility conditions look like, and work on staying close or night conditions, and finding flashlights, other gear, flourescent night life, in the dark. That kind of thing. Other ideas for dry dive practice are are welcome?

How about filling a bath up with ice cold water, get in and stick on an ice diving app :D

Seriously though, I think you may have hit on something with interactive VR training to augment real-life training.
I'm thinking I'd be interested to do a virtual dive in a low vis situation (simulating the type of conditions you get in the sea local to me) because I've mainly dived in great (warm water) conditions so far. At least that way I'd have some idea what to expect when I do do a local dive rather than diving in at the deep end (pardon the pun).
If you have an app with real dive sites it could be used to familiarise yourself with the site before diving, if for example there are particular dangers to avoid or the vis is likely to be bad etc. Having said that I enjoy diving a site for the first time not really knowing what to expect, apart from the pre-dive brief by the guide.

Last edited:

Edit: https://www.google.com/amp/s/phys.org/news/2016-04-scuba-simulator-advances-field-virtual.amp
Slightly more comfortable than a barstool for support...

i downloaded and tried - its only a few red sea locations - not overwhelmed by it :-(

There have been some interesting developments with VR & treating post-traumatic stress disorder (PSTD) as well as amputees' phantom pain. Here's one article which speaks to both. VR could be a wonderful treatment for those with one or the other, & then the VR diving apps could be the next step in helping train them for actual diving.

I have an Android & have played around with NOAA's "immersive 360 view of national marine sanctuaries". It is fun & the geek in me was thrilled to see this new step in technology, but it pales in comparison for me.

Here's a link to a Sport Diver article on "The Must of the Sea."

Experience Scuba Diving Virtual Reality with New App

Not loving the title, by the way.

Agreed, bad title. When I saw the word "must", I first thought of the other definition of must (mold; moldiness; mustiness) which lead me to "grape must" which led me to sediment & so I thought they were talking about sediment-rich waters. :rofl3:

There have been some interesting developments with VR & treating post-traumatic stress disorder (PSTD) as well as amputees' phantom pain. Here's one article which speaks to both. VR could be a wonderful treatment for those with one or the other, & then the VR diving apps could be the next step in helping train them for actual diving.

I have an Android & have played around with NOAA's "immersive 360 view of national marine sanctuaries". It is fun & the geek in me was thrilled to see this new step in technology, but it pales in comparison for me.

Agreed, bad title. When I saw the word "must", I first thought of the other definition of must (mold; moldiness; mustiness) which lead me to "grape must" which led me to sediment & so I thought they were talking about sediment-rich waters. :rofl3:

Those NOAA videos are cool. I also followed the link to the OceanAgency.org, and they're doing some very cool things to bring the reefs to people who don't dive - and to show the impact of higher temperatures on the oceans. They've adapted Google's Street View to the oceans, among other projects. It's worth checking out: Home (theoceanagency.org)

Their work is also captured in a Netflix documentary, Chasing Coral. It's scheduled for release in July 2017. I think I'll reach out to some folks in this area to schedule a viewing.

Last edited:
Those NOAA videos are cool. I also followed the link to the OceanAgency.org, and they're doing some very cool things to bring the reefs to people who don't dive - and to show the impact of higher temperatures on the oceans. They've adapted Google's Street View to the oceans, among other projects. It's worth checking out: Home (theoceanagency.org)

Their work is also captured in a Netflix documentary, Chasing Coral. It's scheduled for release in July 2017. I think I'll reach out to some folks in this area to schedule a viewing.

I have seen the Google "Street" View of oceans, but didn't know that there was a company/site with a list of all of them. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom